Suspect killed and bystander wounded after barrage of 20 to 30 gunshots erupts near White House
WASHINGTON, DC: A suspected shooter was killed and a bystander was injured in an exchange of gunfire that briefly locked down the White House on Saturday, May 23.
The shooting took place at around 6 pm when a male was seen pacing in a strange manner up and down 17th St Northwest, before approaching the Secret Service checkpoint on Pennsylvania Avenue NW and began firing at officers.
The suspect suddenly pulled a gun from a bag and opened fire on officers before he was shot in a hail of bullets from federal officers, the Secret Service said in a statement.
The individual was later described as "down" and was transported to George Washington Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A bystander was also shot, the Secret Service said, but it was unclear who fired the round that injured that person. Their condition was not immediately available.
Suspect described as 'emotionally disturbed person'
The suspect is believed to have been known to DC police and the Secret Service, three officials told NBC News.
Authorities described the suspect as an “emotionally disturbed person” and said a stay-away order had previously been issued against him.
The Secret Service was posted just outside the room with guns drawn as the White House went into lockdown, which was eventually lifted after 6.46 pm.
FBI Director Kash Patel said in a post on X (formerly Twitter) that FBI agents were at the scene assisting the Secret Service. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, along with the Metropolitan Police Department, is also supporting the ongoing response.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the shooting but was not impacted, according to the Secret Service, which also confirmed that no agents were injured during the incident.
Reporters rushed to safety as shooting erupts
Reporters, who were ushered into the Briefing Room as the shots rang out, estimated 20 to 30 shots had been fired during the standoff, which eventually led to the suspect’s death.
"We have seen shootings in the vicinity of the White House before, well beyond the grounds of the White House campus that normally sends the White House itself into lockdown,” said Sky News Australia White House correspondent Jonathan Kearsley.
"What we've seen in this instance is reports that gunshots are very, very close indeed, that the press of the journalists have been told by the Secret Service to get inside into the press briefing room," he added.
🚨 BREAKING:
— Mario Nawfal (@MarioNawfal) May 23, 2026
🇺🇸 Footage from ABC News has captured the moment shots were fired outside the White House.
Key details:
-ABC News footage captured audio of the gunfire in real time
-Roughly 20 to 30 rounds were reported fired outside the White House
-The Secret Service rushed… https://t.co/MwTUlHHmmR pic.twitter.com/XPzq9CdvU2
Selina Wang, ABC News’ chief White House correspondent, shared a video on X capturing the moment the apparent gunshots rang out, forcing her to quickly duck for cover.
New footage of the shooting near the White House pic.twitter.com/aTDtFD2onU
— Faytuks Network (@FaytuksNetwork) May 23, 2026
“I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots. It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now,” she posted.