Video shows terrifying moment reporter dives for cover as gunshots erupt near White House gate

Journalist Selina Wang said she was filming near the White House when dozens of gunshots forced reporters to sprint for cover
Secret Service agents fatally shot 21-year-old Nasire Best after he opened fire near a White House security checkpoint (Screengrab/SelinaWang/X)
Secret Service agents fatally shot 21-year-old Nasire Best after he opened fire near a White House security checkpoint (Screengrab/SelinaWang/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: A terrifying video captured the moment a news correspondent had to dive for cover when dozens of gunshots rang out near the White House on Saturday, May 23.

The chaos forced journalists to run for safety while Secret Service agents shot and killed a 21-year-old gunman outside the facility’s gate.



Selina Wang dives for cover near White House shooting

Veteran reporter Selina Wang was filming a video on her iPhone from the 'Pebble Beach' media area when the shooting started. Known for staying calm, she panicked as the loud shots echoed through the area.

The gunfire broke out near the fence at 17th Street Northwest and Pennsylvania Avenue while security guards rushed to stop the threat. Wang later shared her terrifying experience on social media.

“I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots,” said Wang on X.

“It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now.”



Secret Service shoots gunman near White House gate

Secret Service agents responded immediately to the danger outside the building, fatally shooting the suspect who approached the White House security checkpoint and opened fire.

It is worth noting that the gunman, identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, was transported to George Washington University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.



The shooting happened just hundreds of feet from the White House shortly after 6 pm ET. Officials said the man arrived with a weapon and immediately started shooting at the guards.

“A preliminary investigation indicates that as the individual approached, he removed a weapon from his bag and began firing at posted officers,” according to the Secret Service statement. The incident is under investigation.

It is worth mentioning that no Secret Service personnel were injured, and President Donald Trump, who was in the residence, was unharmed. A White House official said he had been briefed on the incident by the Secret Service.

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 23, 2026: Emergency teams work the scene after multiple rapid-fire gunshots ring out near the White House on May 23, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump was reportedly inside the White House working on a peace deal with Iran. (Photo by Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)
Emergency teams work the scene after multiple rapid-fire gunshots ring out near the White House on May 23, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump was reportedly inside the White House working on a peace deal with Iran (Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)

Second White House security scare rattles Washington

This weekend's shooting follows a major security scare involving President Donald Trump just weeks earlier.

On April 25, law enforcement disrupted a suspected attempt on President Trump’s life while he attended the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner at a Washington hotel.

The suspect in that case, Cole Tomas Allen of Torrance, California, recently pleaded not guilty to attempted murder charges and remains in federal custody.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A source said Tiger Woods believes Vanessa Trump will recover and is supporting her despite his recent DUI troubles
15 minutes ago
Nasire Best allegedly violated prior stay-away orders before opening fire near the White House checkpoint
24 minutes ago
Shortly after 6 pm on Saturday, May 23, a man approached a Secret Service checkpoint near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW and opened fire
1 hour ago
Donald Trump White House briefly locked down after armed suspect fired near Pennsylvania Avenue prompting rapid security response
1 hour ago
911 audio captured a call for an ambulance to GM's Charlotte Technical Center after Kyle Busch reportedly suffered a medical emergency
7 hours ago
Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, Kyle Busch died at the age of 41 on May 21 after sudden illness
18 hours ago
Carly Kimmel was accused of complaining about Spencer Pratt-themed baked goods sold at Vicente Foods, a 78-year-old grocery store in Brentwood
22 hours ago
Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil dismissed Michael Wolff’s case after criticizing both sides over legal tactics in court disputes
23 hours ago
In another post, Trump unloaded on Stephen Colbert, calling him a 'total jerk' with 'no talent, no ratings, no life'
1 day ago
Among those in the most serious condition are firefighters and first responders
1 day ago