'I did not handle it right': Lloyd Austin addresses hospitalization amid his prostate cancer surgery complications

'We transferred authority in a timely fashion. What we didn't do well was the notification of senior leaders,' said Lloyd Austin
Lloyd Austin was appointed as the Defense Secretary in January (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Lloyd Austin was appointed as the Defense Secretary in January (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin appeared before the House Armed Services Committee on Thursday, February 29, to explain the delay in notifying the president, Congress, and the public about his hospitalization.

He stayed in the intensive care unit after complications from prostate cancer surgery. "I did not handle it right. But let me be clear: I never intended to keep my hospitalization from the White House… or from anybody else," Austin said.



 

Jim Banks calls the incident embarrassing

It was Republican representative Jim Banks of Indiana who questioned why the internal review the Pentagon released earlier this week did not hold anyone accountable for waiting several days, as per CBS News.

"Who will be held accountable for this embarrassment?" Banks asked. A review released a few days ago found that there had been ‘no deliberate attempt by Austin or his aides to keep the hospitalization a secret, but it acknowledged that policies for transferring the defense secretary's responsibilities during an emergency must be improved.’

"There was never a break in command and control," Austin told members of the House, adding "We transferred authority in a timely fashion. What we didn't do well was the notification of senior leaders."

Austin also pointed at his team over the delay, saying “In my case, I would expect that my organization would do the right things to notify senior leaders if I'm the patient in the hospital."



 

Who filled in for the Defense Secretary position?

He assumed the position of Defense Secretary under President Joe Biden, delegated his responsibilities to Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks at approximately 4.55 pm on Sunday, February 25.

This transition of duties was communicated to the White House, Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Congress, Pentagon Press Secretary Maj Gen Pat Ryder confirmed, reports MEAWW.

Social media also reacted to Lloyd Austin's statement. "Curious how this is not an impeachable offense or at the least a violation of the UCMJ," wrote one. "We’re still spending time on this? 🤦‍♂️," said a second user. A third user tweeted, "He already apologized publicly and President Biden is okay with the apology. Move on. This isn't something you remove someone for."

"It’s not like the Secretary told Biden he weighed 175lbs or claimed he Aced a dementia test. Not like the Country had Kash Patel in the acting role. He had a complication with a cancer surgery and America was never in danger," expressed another.



 



 



 



 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'Hiring freezes are hollowing out research labs and forcing institutions to rescind job offers to young scientists', Tammy Baldwin said
2 minutes ago
Thom Tillis said it was absurd for taxpayers to 'compensate someone who assaulted a police officer, admitted their guilt, got convicted, got pardoned'
24 minutes ago
The Trump administration extended the refrigeration rule deadline, saving food distributors nearly $900 million in upgrade costs
1 hour ago
Ken Martin said withholding the report after Democrats' November wins created a bigger distraction than releasing it would have
1 hour ago
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the Trump administration’s $1.776 billion fund amid questions over eligibility and payouts
9 hours ago
Bruce Springsteen backed Stephen Colbert on his final-week Late Show episode, criticizing Donald Trump and Paramount leadership amid cancellation debate
9 hours ago
Homan rejects criticism over deportation pace, pledging to increase arrests and target top threats
10 hours ago
The Trump administration has filed criminal charges against Raul Castro over the 1996 shootdown of two civilian planes that killed four people
10 hours ago
Wes Moore revisited attacks that surfaced during his 2022 gubernatorial campaign, including criticism that came from within Democratic circles
10 hours ago
Robert Garcia alleged Trump negotiated the $1.8B fund himself, potentially distributing it to allies, election deniers, or even benefiting personally
10 hours ago