Aimee Bock, ‘ringleader’ of $250M Minnesota child nutrition scheme, gets 41-year sentence

Prosecutors said Aimee Bock and co-defendant Salim Said falsely claimed to serve 91 million meals while using federal funds for lavish spending
Aimee Bock was sentenced to 41 years for stealing $250 million through Feeding Our Future’s pandemic child meal fraud scheme (Kerem Yücel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP, File)
Aimee Bock was sentenced to 41 years for stealing $250 million through Feeding Our Future’s pandemic child meal fraud scheme (Kerem Yücel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP, File)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Aimee Bock, the founder of Minnesota-based nonprofit Feeding Our Future, was handed a staggering 41-year prison sentence on Tuesday, May 19, after prosecutors accused her of orchestrating one of the largest pandemic-era fraud schemes in the country.

The 45-year-old was convicted last March on all counts connected to a massive operation that falsely claimed to feed millions of children during the Covid-19 pandemic while siphoning off federal funds for luxury purchases and lavish lifestyles.

Federal prosecutors said Bock and her network stole nearly $250 million from a child nutrition program intended to feed hungry children in Minnesota communities during the pandemic. In addition to the prison sentence, Bock was ordered to pay $5.2 million in restitution.



Aimee Bock called ‘ringleader’ in fraud case

According to prosecutors, Bock and co-defendant Salim Said falsely claimed to have served around 91 million meals through the federal nutrition initiative.

Instead, authorities said the money was used to bankroll extravagant spending while the children the program was meant to help received little to no benefit.

Acting US Attorney Lisa D Kirkpatrick previously described Bock as the “ringleader” of the sprawling fraud operation.

Investigators said Feeding Our Future expanded dramatically during the pandemic, jumping from receiving roughly $3 million in federal aid to more than $200 million in 2021 alone.



The dramatic rise reportedly raised alarms within the Minnesota Department of Education, which began questioning the sudden spike in funding requests.

But prosecutors said Bock fought back aggressively as scrutiny increased. Authorities revealed that she filed a lawsuit against the state agency as officials started asking questions about the organization’s finances and operations.

Meanwhile, the money allegedly continued pouring in.

Federal investigators later uncovered evidence showing Bock spent funds from the program on luxury items, including a Porsche Panamera, designer handbags, jewelry, and dozens of electronic devices, including laptops, iPads, and iPhones.

Federal raids uncover luxury spending in fraud scheme

The scheme finally unraveled in January 2022 after the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Internal Revenue Service, and other federal agencies carried out coordinated raids at 26 different locations across Minnesota connected to suspected fraud activity.

Prosecutors said the investigation uncovered a widespread operation involving fake meal counts, fabricated invoices, and fraudulent reimbursement claims tied to pandemic food assistance programs.

Children watch television at ABC Learning Center in Minneapolis, Minn., on Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2025. (AP Photo/Mark Vancleave)
Children watch television at ABC Learning Center in Minneapolis, Minn, on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2025 (AP Photo/Mark Vancleave)

Authorities also said many of the defendants involved in the case were Somali immigrants and that the aid recipients were meant to be members of Minnesota’s Somali community.

So far, 79 individuals have been charged in connection with the Feeding Our Future investigation, with more than 60 convictions already secured.

The scale of the case shocked investigators, especially because the fraud allegedly took place during a time when federal agencies were rapidly distributing emergency pandemic relief money meant for struggling families and children.

During sentencing proceedings, prosecutors argued that the fraud effectively “took food out of the mouths of hungry kids.”

Aimee Bock links Ilhan Omar to waivers

The case drew additional attention during Bock’s trial after email and text exchanges between her and Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar surfaced in court proceedings.

Bock later made further claims involving Omar during a jailhouse interview conducted while she awaited sentencing.

According to Bock, Omar played a role in helping extend federal waivers tied to pandemic meal programs after introducing the MEALS Act in Congress in 2020.

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) speaks during a mark up meeting with the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill on May 16, 2025 in Washington, DC. Members of the Budget Committee met to consider House Republicans’ reconciliation bill, which includes U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed tax and spending cuts. The bill faced bipartisan opposition, with five Republican members of the House Budget Committee voting against it and supporting a motion for the committee to recess for the weekend. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Rep Ilhan Omar (D-MN) speaks during a mark up meeting with the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill on May 16, 2025 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

The legislation allowed the United States Department of Agriculture to loosen certain school meal requirements during the pandemic emergency period.

The waivers reportedly reduced oversight by allowing restaurants and other sites to participate in food programs without traditional inspections.

“There had been a couple times early on that there were some gaps – a waiver would be set to expire on maybe the 15th of a month, and then the renewal didn’t kick in until the 1st,” Bock claimed during the interview.

“Because of course this was supposed to be a short-term thing . . . we were supposed to be home for two weeks,” she added. Bock also claimed she would “struggle to believe” Omar was unaware of the fraud operation as the program rapidly expanded.

Omar did not respond to requests for comment mentioned in the provided material.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kyle Busch won two NASCAR Cup titles, 234 national series races, and held all-time wins records in the Xfinity and Truck Series
39 minutes ago
Authorities had reportedly received multiple prior warnings about both teenagers involved in the shooting that left three people dead
1 hour ago
Karen Whitaker, 79, and Donald Whitaker, 80, were found dead at their Bermuda Dunes home after deputies conducted a welfare check
2 hours ago
Vanessa Trump said the news was unexpected, but emphasized that she is working closely with her doctors on a treatment plan
17 hours ago
White House posts dramatic ‘enemies neutralized’ graphic featuring Trump with Maduro, Khamenei and Castro.
19 hours ago
Robert De Niro drew applause during a questionnaire segment on Stephen Colbert’s show with a political joke about Trump and Epstein files
20 hours ago
Jeff Bezos claimed New York City school funding is not reaching teachers despite high per-student costs
20 hours ago
Donald Trump claimed Jesus would’ve helped him win California while attacking the state’s voting system
21 hours ago
Bystander Rhonda Shearer called the open manhole dangerous, while her son Jade said the partially open cover could have been fixed
22 hours ago
Marco Rubio is not from Cuba. He was born in Miami, Florida, to Cuban immigrants
22 hours ago