‘Benefits of being a State’: Trump fires back at Canada after talks collapse
MOMENTS AGO: President Trump on Truth Social: “Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!! They have also charged our great farmers, for many years, massive amounts of Tariffs. No more!!! President DJT” pic.twitter.com/29TxXkmYA6
— RedWave Press (@RedWavePress) August 23, 2026
WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump revived his push for Canada to become the 51st state as collapsed trade talks triggered a new tariff confrontation.
Trump said Canada wanted the benefits of being a state without becoming one, while accusing its farmers of facing massive US tariffs.
The president made the remarks Sunday, August 23, on Truth Social, his first public comments since negotiations broke down Friday in Washington.
Trump again raises the 51st state idea after talks collapse
Trump wrote that “Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!!”
He added, “No more!!!” while accusing Canada of charging American farmers “massive amounts of tariffs” for years.
The remarks echo Trump's repeated references since returning to office to making Canada the “51st state” of America.
Those comments have frustrated Canadian leaders and residents, according to the BBC.
The latest statement came as the countries entered a new trade confrontation after negotiations collapsed.
New US tariffs of 50% apply to a range of Canadian goods, in addition to existing tariffs on Canadian steel, aluminum, automobiles and lumber.
The new levies cover about $20 billion of Canadian imports, or roughly 5% of total Canadian imports, including wine, dairy, cement, clothing and hockey equipment.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney called the tariffs a “miscalculation” intended to “hurt and divide us.”
He said Canada would match Trump's tariffs “dollar-for-dollar” beginning Sept 8, including measures on steel, dairy, appliances and electronics.
Carney says Canada was attacked
Carney described the situation as a trade “war” and said Canada was retaliating reluctantly to protect its interests.
“They asked too much and they offered too little,” Carney said Saturday. “You're at war when you get attacked. We got attacked,” he added.
The breakdown followed optimism earlier in the week that a deal could be reached. Both sides later accused the other of making last-minute changes.
Carney said the US presented “unacceptable” terms that were too restrictive, including limits on Canada's ability to strike new trade deals with other countries.
He rejected the US assertion that Canada made last-minute requests, saying, “We clarified what was on offer and were continually disappointed by the answers.”
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Fox News Saturday that there were no plans to resume negotiations.
He also said the US had been prepared to cut some tariffs on Canada under the proposed deal.
Canadian leaders rally behind Carney
Leaders of other federal parties, including Conservative opposition leader Pierre Poilievre, voiced support for Carney. Poilievre called the latest US levies “unjustified.”
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Trump “can't be trusted,” while British Columbia Premier David Eby said the US demand for restrictions on Canada's other trade deals would reduce Canada “to the economic equivalent of the 51st state.”
Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette warned jobs would likely be lost and said, “Behind these numbers are real people.”
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, whose oil-rich province has sought closer ties with the Trump administration, urged both countries to resume talks.
The collapse followed more than a year of on-again, off-again negotiations and comes during a mandatory review of the USMCA trade pact with Canada and Mexico.
Carney said the failure of Friday's talks was “certainly not good news” for the agreement.