Donald Trump unveils economic vision headed by Elon Musk if elected as president in November

The announcement was made during a speech to the New York Economic Club where Donald Trump outlined his broader economic vision for the country
Donald Trump has announced economic plan involving Elon Musk as lead if elected (Getty Images)
Donald Trump has announced economic plan involving Elon Musk as lead if elected (Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Donald Trump announced on Thursday, September 5, that he would establish a government efficiency commission which will be led by Elon Musk if elected in the upcoming November election.

The announcement was made during a speech to the New York Economic Club where the former president outlined his broader economic vision for the country.



 

Donald Trump's government efficiency commission

Donald Trump has reportedly been discussing the idea of a government efficiency commission with his aides for weeks, according to Reuters.

However, this speech marked the first time the Republican presidential candidate publicly endorsed the concept and revealed that Elon Musk had agreed to lead the body.

“I will create a government efficiency commission tasked with conducting a complete financial and performance audit of the entire federal government and making recommendations for drastic reforms,” said Trump.

He highlighted that the commission would be responsible for developing a plan to eliminate "fraud and improper payments" within six months of its formation.

However, Trump did not provide detailed specifics on how the commission would operate.

Elon Musk's involvement in the commission

Tech billionaire Elon Musk expressed his willingness to participate in the commission in a recent statement on X.

He confirmed that he had been in discussions with Trump about the commission and noted that he was interested in serving if given the opportunity.

"I look forward to serving America if the opportunity arises. No pay, no title, no recognition is needed," said Musk.



 

Agreeing with the efficiency commission, he reshared a video of Trump's announcement of the government efficiency commission on Thursday, September 5 and tweeted, "This is badly needed."



 

The Tesla CEO had also mentioned his potential involvement in the commission during a podcast on August 19 where he expressed his readiness to serve the country in this capacity.

Donald Trump's plans for tax cuts and housing initiatives

During his New York speech, Donald Trump reiterated his plan to reduce corporate tax rate to 15% from the current 21%, specifically targeting companies that manufacture domestically. This proposal aims to incentivize businesses to keep manufacturing jobs within the United States.

In addition to tax cuts, the 78-year-old politician proposed opening up federal land to homebuilding as a strategy to reduce housing costs.

Without elaborating on the specifics, he described these new housing zones as "low tax" and "low regulation" areas.

An Anthology of Fashion
Elon Musk has expressed his willingness to participate in Donald Trump's government efficiency commission (Getty Images)

"We're going to open up our country to building homes inexpensively, so young people and other people can buy homes,” said Trump.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

After Cory Mills' defeat, President Donald Trump shifted his support to Ryan Elijah, who became the Republican nominee for Florida's 7th District
19 minutes ago
Nikki Haley, who backs opponent Ralph Norman, criticized Darline Graham Nordone's response, saying national security 'is not something you inherit'
51 minutes ago
Comey's lawyers rejected the DOJ's interpretation and asked the judge to dismiss the case, arguing the post was protected speech, not a 'true threat'
1 hour ago
The reported courtship comes as Trump weighs several contenders for the high-profile White House role
2 hours ago
Heidi Overton has helped shape Trump’s health policies and faced criticism from MAHA advocates over several administration initiatives
9 hours ago
The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
10 hours ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
11 hours ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
13 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
14 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
20 hours ago