Fact Check: Did Jennifer Lawrence assault a man in Nashville for wearing a MAGA hat?
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: A rumor has been circulating on social media platforms claiming that Hollywood actress Jennifer Lawrence is facing assault charges in Nashville after she allegedly attacked a man for wearing a MAGA hat.
The claim has sparked outrage and speculation, with many questioning its authenticity and prompting a fact check.
Claim: Jennifer Lawrence attacked a man for wearing a MAGA hat
According to the viral claim, Nashville police confirmed that the 36-year-old actress was taken into custody on Saturday, August 15, following an argument in which she allegedly struck a 34-year-old tourist after he refused to remove his “Make America Great Again” cap.
The post was accompanied by a link to an article that further suggested she was later released on a $5,000 bond.
The claim sparked massive outrage against the popular actress, with many calling for her imprisonment, while others remained skeptical and questioned its authenticity.
Fact Check: The claim originated from a parody account
However, there is no evidence to support the claim that Lawrence is facing charges for assaulting a man for wearing a MAGA hat.
A Google search for the claim yielded no relevant results from prominent news and entertainment media outlets, which, if true, would likely have reported the incident given the actress' stance against Republicans and President Donald Trump.
There are also no official statements, announcements, or reports from the Nashville police about such an incident.
Moreover, the claim was posted by a popular parody account on Facebook called ‘America’s Last Line Of Defense,’ which describes itself in its bio as ‘Nothing on this page is real.’
Jennifer Lawrence’s changing stance on Trump
The ‘Hunger Games’ actress has been a vocal critic of President Trump, but in November last year, when asked about his second term in office, she discussed a shift in her approach to being vocal.
"I don't really know if I should," the Oscar winning actress revealed before recalling how, during Trump's first term, she was frantically vocal because she couldn't believe what was happening.
“The second term feels different,” said Lawrence. “Because he said what he was going to do. We knew what he did for four years. He was very clear. And that’s what we chose.”
She even expressed regret over her past criticisms of Trump, stating, “I regret everything I've ever done or said."