Julian Castro says Joe Biden is in 'denial' about his issues, calls POTUS' interview after debate 'not good enough'

Ex-Democratic presidential candidate Julian Castro said Joe Biden has lost his past vigor to campaign for the 2024 reelection
Julian Castro called Joe Biden a weak candidate for the November presidential elections (Getty Images)
Julian Castro called Joe Biden a weak candidate for the November presidential elections (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Julian Castro, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary said President Joe Biden's interview on ABC on Friday, July 5 following the first live debate was “not good enough.”

During his appearance on MSNBC's 'Alex Wagner Tonight', Castro said, “I think the most chilling was when [George] Stephanopoulos asked him, ‘Well, what if you lose to [former President Donald Trump], then how are you gonna feel?’ and President Biden said, ‘Well, as long as I gave it my all,’ that basically that he would feel ok."

“That’s not good enough, for the American people. That’s not good enough with the stakes of Donald Trump winning," he added.

Julian Castro says Joe Biden's ABC interview was 'steadier' than his CNN debate

Joe Biden's ABC interview comes a week after his presidential debate in Atlanta where he appeared to stumble throughout the face-off, sparking concerns among Democrats over his mental fitness and capability to run another four-year term.

Castro stated that the president's post-debate interview was "steadier" than "we saw him in the debate,” but that he is “basically in denial” about matters including “his decline” and poll numbers, according to The Hill.


AUSTIN, TX - JUNE 20: Former U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary, and former presidential candidate Julián Castro speaks at a rally at the state Capitol on June 20, 2021 in Austin, Texas. The rally is one of many former U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke is holding across Texas to fight SB7, a controversial voting bill that was derailed after house Democrats walked out of the session. The bill set limits on early voting hours, banned drive-through voting, made it a felony for officials to send unsolicited absentee ballot requests and lowered the standard for overturning an election based on fraud. Gov. Greg Abbott has vowed to call a special session on the measure. (Photo by Sergio Flores/Getty Images)
Julian Castro questioned Joe Biden's candidacy in the 2024 presidential run (Getty Images)

Julian Castro says Joe Biden is 'very likely to lose to' Donald Trump

Former Democratic presidential candidate Julian Castro publicly urged Joe Biden to quit the 2024 presidential race.

In a post on X (formerly Twitter) on Tuesday, July 2, Castro wrote, “Joe Biden is a good man and has been a good president."

“But last week’s debate disturbingly demonstrated that he is unable to effectively prosecute the case against Donald Trump — much less inspire and mobilize voters to the polls," he continued.

Speaking about Biden's candidacy, Castro wrote, “Sadly, President Biden is not the campaigner he was in 2020 — and looks very likely to lose to Trump, one of the weakest candidates in presidential history."

“I am convinced that a number of other Democrats, including Vice President Harris, stand a better chance of winning," he added.



 

Joe Biden dismisses suggestions of stepping aside in 2024 race

Despite widespread criticism over his debate performance and calls to quit the race, Joe Biden said in the ABC interview, "If the Lord Almighty came down and said, ‘Joe, get out of the race,’ I’d get out of the race.

"The Lord Almighty’s not comin’ down," he added.

In a recent fundraising mail, the 81-year-old politician stated, “I’m the Democratic Party’s nominee. No one is pushing me out."

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 4: US President Joe Biden speaks during a 4th of July event on the South Lawn of the White House on July 4, 2024 in Washington, DC. The President is hosting the Independence Day event for members of the military and their families. (Photo by Samuel Corum/Getty Images)
Joe Biden said he will not be quitting his 2024 reelection attempts (Getty Images)

"I’m not leaving, I’m in this race to the end, and WE are going to win this election," he continued.

"If that’s all you need to hear, pitch in a few bucks to help [Vice President Harris] and me defeat Donald Trump in November," read the fundraising mail.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump scaled back US-South Korea drills, saying he was 'not happy' with participation due to his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un
6 hours ago
Ossoff praised the USS Abraham Lincoln crew’s service, saying they endure hardship but deserve competent leaders and clarity about the purpose of war
7 hours ago
Trump made the announcement Sunday, August 16, as the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were set to begin Monday
8 hours ago
Donald Trump renewed his dispute with Jeanine Pirro after her office blamed faulty construction for damage to the newly renovated landmark
8 hours ago
Greene also accused the administration of sidelining US intelligence assessments that found Iran was not actively pursuing a nuclear weapon
10 hours ago
'The deep problem here is that this administration did not plan for this war, did not plan how to get out of this war', Ruben Gallego said
15 hours ago
Jared Kushner was joined by Nickolay Mladenov and Tony Blair, while Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya attended with Egyptian, Qatari, and Turkish officials
15 hours ago
Kristen Welker asked Todd Blanche if he would follow Trump if asked to cross 'an ethical or legal line', but Blanche said the president never would
16 hours ago
The attorney general addressed concerns over his transition from Trump's personal lawyer to the Justice Department
17 hours ago
James Carville said Democrats should not just celebrate reclaiming seats but pressure Republicans on popular issues and seek broader voter support
18 hours ago