Kennedy Center launches Trump endowment fund days after removing his name from building

The fund is intended to recognize Trump's 'significant contributions and dedication' to the Kennedy Center
The Kennedy Center had to remove Donald Trump's name from the building to comply with a federal court ruling (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)
The Kennedy Center had to remove Donald Trump's name from the building to comply with a federal court ruling (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

WASHINGTON, DC: Just days after workers removed President Donald Trump's name from the exterior of the Kennedy Center, the performing arts institution has announced a new endowment fund bearing his name.

The development comes after a federal court ruling forced the center to reverse an earlier decision to rename the building in Trump's honor.

Despite that setback, officials confirmed on Sunday, June 14, that a new fundraising initiative called the "Trump Kennedy Center Fund" is moving forward.

President Donald Trump speaks in the Oval Office of the White House, Wednesday, June 3, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump speaks in the Oval Office of the White House on Wednesday, June 3, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Kennedy Center says Trump fund will honor his contributions

The Kennedy Center confirmed that it is establishing a new endowment in Trump's name, creating an unexpected twist in the ongoing debate over his relationship with the cultural institution.

Roma Daravi, the center's vice president of public relations, explained the purpose behind the fund while speaking to The Hill.

According to Daravi, the fund “is intended to recognize” Trump's “significant contributions and dedication to America’s premier cultural center, while furthering our founding mission like never before.”

Workers install Donald J. Trump above the current signage on the Kennedy Center on Friday, Dec. 19, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Workers install Donald J Trump above the current signage on the Kennedy Center on Friday, December 19, 2025, in Washington (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

The fund will focus on raising private donations to support the center's operations and programs.

Officials said the initiative is separate from the institution's existing endowments and donor programs.

The announcement drew attention because it arrived almost immediately after Trump's name was removed from the building itself.

CBS News first reported on Sunday that the Kennedy Center was creating the new fund.

The White House had not publicly commented on the development at the time of the report.

Trump's name was removed from the Kennedy Center facade on Saturday

Workers removed Trump's name from the outside of the Kennedy Center on Saturday in compliance with a federal court order.

The action followed a ruling by US District Judge Christopher Cooper in a case challenging the renaming of the institution as “The Donald J. Trump and The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts.”

Court records showed that the Trump administration confirmed it had complied with the ruling around 11 am EDT on Saturday.

A worker removes a letter from President Donald Trump's name from the wall of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, Saturday, June 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)
A worker removes a letter from President Donald Trump's name from the wall of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington on Saturday, June 13, 2026 (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)

The filing came after Cooper granted a 12-hour extension request that had been sought because of weather concerns.

The decision marked a significant setback for efforts to permanently associate Trump's name with the landmark arts center.

Cooper had ruled that only Congress has the authority to change the name of the institution because it was originally dedicated to former President John F Kennedy.

He also ruled against a separate decision involving the planned closure of the center for renovations.

Trump's influence at the Kennedy Center remains a major issue

The dispute over the Kennedy Center has been building for months.

Last year, Trump removed the center's leadership and appointed trustees who later selected him as chair.

In December, the board voted to add the Republican leader's name to the institution, which first opened in 1971 as a memorial honoring JFK.

That move was challenged by Rep Joyce Beatty of Ohio, who serves as an ex officio board member of the center.

The Democrat filed a lawsuit seeking to block both the renaming effort and a planned two-year closure for renovations.

Rep Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, speaks at the 2024 Democratic National Convention, Aug. 19, 2024, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)
Rep Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio) speaks at the 2024 Democratic National Convention on August 19, 2024, in Chicago (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)

The renovation project had been scheduled to begin on July 5.

Her legal challenge ultimately led to Cooper's ruling, which sided with her position on both issues.

While the court decision resulted in Trump's name being removed from the building, the newly announced endowment ensures that his connection to the Kennedy Center will continue in another form.

EVIAN-LES-BAINS, FRANCE - JUNE 15: U.S. President Donald Trump talks as he meets French President Emmanuel Macron for a bilateral meeting at Hotel Royal Evian on June 15, 2026 in Évian-les-Bains, France. Leaders from the Group of 7 (G7) countries convened in Evian, France, near the Swiss border, for their annual summit to discuss challenges to peace and security for Ukraine and Europe, the situation in the Middle East, and other geopolitical issues. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump talks as he meets French President Emmanuel Macron for a bilateral meeting at Hotel Royal Evian on June 15, 2026, in Évian-les-Bains, France (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

According to a center official, the fund will help generate additional private revenue to supplement the institution's congressional funding, which currently stands at $257 million.

Officials also emphasized that the "Trump Kennedy Center Fund" will operate separately from existing donor programs.

The center already receives support from a wide range of individuals and foundations, with contributions ranging from more than $50,000 to more than $1 million.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump made the remark while recalling a conversation with Melania Trump about his signature 'YMCA' dance routine
6 minutes ago
Canada sharply responded, stating that it would immediately respond with matching tariffs, as both sides blamed the other for the collapse in talks
31 minutes ago
Trump called Tucker Carlson a 'low-IQ individual' who is 'totally irrelevant,' and suggested he needs a cognitive test if he runs for office
38 minutes ago
Donald Trump defended Darline Graham over criticism of her national security remarks and urged South Carolina Republicans to support her campaign
55 minutes ago
Trump said he did not direct Scott Bessent to intervene in the bond market and that the Treasury secretary acted on his own initiative
1 hour ago
Trump argued that a Democratic takeover would hurt jobs and businesses, and claimed they would seek to remove him from office without a clear reason
1 hour ago
Trump praised Scott Jennings and Margo Martin as interest grows in who will take over the high-profile White House communications role
3 hours ago
Alejandro Brito demanded a retraction from the Center for American Progress, while CEO Neera Tanden defended its findings
3 hours ago
The Supreme Court temporarily paused a judicial order that would have required the construction of Trump's White House ballroom to stop at midnight Friday.
4 hours ago
Rosie O'Donnell repeatedly criticized Trump during her monologues, reviving a feud dating to her 2006-07 'The View' stint and his 2016 attacks
8 hours ago