'Maine Girl Dads' gather over 60K signatures for initiative to ban trans athletes from girls' sports

The group, a coalition of 8,000 fathers, has come together to 'protect the dignity, opportunity, and privacy' of their daughters
'Maine Girl Dads' needs 68,000 signatures by February 2026 to send the initiative, 'An Act to Designate School Sports Participation and Facilities by Sex', to voters in November 2026 (@MaineGirlDads/X)
'Maine Girl Dads' needs 68,000 signatures by February 2026 to send the initiative, 'An Act to Designate School Sports Participation and Facilities by Sex', to voters in November 2026 (@MaineGirlDads/X)

BRUNSWICK, MAINE: A band of fathers in Maine is carrying on its crusade to keep girls’ sports only for girls. 

The group, known as "Maine Girl Dads," rolled into Brunswick on Saturday, November 15, with a drive-thru setup. Folks could swing by, sign their names, and help push an initiative that would ban transgender athletes from participating in girls’ sports, according to WMTW.

The issue of transgender athletes in women’s competitions has been blowing up coast to coast, putting female athletes in the tough spot of deciding whether to compete against biological males in their own events.

'Maine Girl Dads' collect signatures statewide 

WMTW reported that the same people behind Protect Girls’ Sports in Maine were also steering Saturday’s signature-collecting push. It’s a statewide effort to get the measure in front of voters.

“If the group gets 68,000 signatures by February, the initiative, ‘An Act to Designate School Sports Participation and Facilities by Sex,’ will go to voters in November 2026,” the outlet reported.

So far, the momentum is high. In a video posted on Thursday, one member of Maine Girl Dads said the push is “going amazing" and that they’d already chalked up more than 60,000 signatures.

“Are you interested in signing our petition to designate school sports as male, female, or coed? Visit one of our four locations this Saturday morning!” an X (formerly Twitter) post was captioned.



According to WMTW, “The referendum would require all schools to designate sports teams, bathrooms and locker rooms by gender: male, female or co-ed.”

Trump vs Janet Mills

Back in February, things got especially heated when President Donald Trump clashed with Maine Gov Janet Mills (D-ME) over her refusal to comply with his executive order aimed at protecting women’s sports. The moment played out in front of everyone at the Governors' Working Session at the White House.

“You better comply because otherwise you’re not getting any federal funding,” Trump warned her. “We’ll see you in court,” Mills shot back.

“Good, I’ll see you in court. I look forward to that. That should be a real easy one,” Trump said. “And enjoy your life after governor because I don’t think you’ll be in elected politics.”



Washington actually followed through. Attorney General Pam Bondi later announced a lawsuit against Maine over the transgender sports controversy.

The complaint read, “By prioritizing gender identity over biological reality, Maine’s policies deprive girl athletes of fair competition, deny them equal athletic opportunities, and expose them to heightened risks of physical injury and physiological harm.”

Bondi suggested that Maine was backing the Joe Biden-era spin on Title IX, which opens the door for transgender athletes in female competitions. “They must not be reading the same Title IX we’re reading,” she quipped when announcing the lawsuit last month.



Tensions boil over in local schools

In October, three activists stripped down to their underwear during a school board meeting to protest the district’s policy allowing transgender athletes to compete in girls’ sports and access female locker rooms. 



According to the "Maine Girl Dads" website, the group “is a coalition of dads (8,000 of us and counting) that have banded together over a common cause — to protect the dignity, opportunity, and privacy of our daughters. Simply put, we want districts across Maine to re-institute sex-based policies in school & sport. No more males in female spaces nor sports.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
8 minutes ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
25 minutes ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
1 hour ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
1 hour ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
11 hours ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
18 hours ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
18 hours ago
Rick Harrison praised Donald Trump’s 'No Tax on Tips' policy, saying it has been a major help for Las Vegas service workers
20 hours ago
'We must help liberate the Iranian people, and we can do it. We can do it without our troops on the ground. Without a forever war,' Mark Levin said
20 hours ago
Conservative influencer Bo Loudon shared photos of Donald Trump, calling him '79 is the new 39'
21 hours ago