'That has to hurt': NAB's decision to pull philanthropy award from Robert De Niro over anti-Trump rant splits Internet

De Niro said Trump 'could destroy the whole world' during a press conference outside the courthouse where Trump was being criminally tried
Broadcasters Association revoked an award it intended to give to Robert De Niro following his appearance at a press conference outside the Manhattan courthouse where Donald Trump's trial was held (Getty Images/YouTube)
Broadcasters Association revoked an award it intended to give to Robert De Niro following his appearance at a press conference outside the Manhattan courthouse where Donald Trump's trial was held (Getty Images/YouTube)

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK: National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) has decided to revoke the philanthropy award intended for actor Robert De Niro.

The decision came in response to the actor's vocal criticism of former President Donald Trump during a press conference held on behalf of the Biden campaign earlier this week.

Robert De Niro’s scathing criticism of Donald Trump

The 'Amsterdam' actor said Trump “could destroy the whole world” during a press conference on Tuesday outside the Manhattan courthouse where Trump was being criminally tried. “I don’t mean to scare you. No, wait, maybe I do mean to scare you,” said the 80-year-old De Niro during the event organized by President Biden's campaign.

“If Trump returns to the White House, you can kiss these freedoms goodbye that we all take for granted.” Additionally, the Hollywood star engaged in a heated exchange with Trump supporters outside the courthouse, calling one heckler who accused him of being paid by the DNC a “f**king idiot.”



 

Meanwhile, Trump didn't miss the opportunity to respond to De Niro's criticism, taking to Truth Social to lambast the actor. “I never knew how small, both mentally and physically, Wacko Former Actor Robert De Niro was,” Trump said. Adding fuel to the fire, Trump posted a deepfake video on Truth Social featuring De Niro in a manipulated scenario.



 

Robert De Niro's political comments lead to award revocation

De Niro's remarks, in which he warned about the potential consequences of Trump's return to the White House, particularly caught the attention of the broadcasters' group. His comments were deemed too politically charged and likely to overshadow the philanthropic spirit of the Celebration of Service to America awards event.

“While we strongly support the right of every American to exercise free speech and participate in civic engagement, it is clear that Mr De Niro’s recent high-profile activities will create a distraction from the philanthropic work that we were hoping to recognize,” stated Alex Siciliano, NAB’s senior vice president of communications. “To maintain the focus on service of the award winners, Mr De Niro will no longer be attending the event.”

The decision underscores the bipartisan nature of the event, which seeks to honor the impactful work of local broadcasters and their partners. “This event is proudly bipartisan, uniting those from across the political spectrum to celebrate the impactful work of local broadcasters and our partners,” he added as per the New York Post.  "We look forward to a night of celebration honoring the exceptional work of broadcasters and our partners who make a difference in their communities every day.”

Netizens divided after Broadcasters association revokes award for Robert De Niro 

A user tweeted, "Nice move guys good to see some civility." 

Another said, "that has to hurt." 

"Oh noooo, I’m sure De Niro is in shambles over that. Good for him for speaking out against that felon," said a user. 

"De Niro has so many awards that he had to buy a house just to have a place to put his awareds, so I am sure he is heartbroken," chimed another.



 



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The reported courtship comes as Trump weighs several contenders for the high-profile White House role
48 minutes ago
Heidi Overton has helped shape Trump’s health policies and faced criticism from MAHA advocates over several administration initiatives
7 hours ago
The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
9 hours ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
10 hours ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
11 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
13 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
18 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
19 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
19 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
20 hours ago