Neighbor says WHCD shooting suspect Cole Tomas Allen ‘may be on the spectrum’

Reporters visited Cole Tomas Allen's California residence, where a brief exchange with a neighbor offered a glimpse into how he was perceived
Cole Tomas Allen exchanged gunfire with law enforcement and was tackled to the ground as the White House Correspondents' Dinner was underway at the Washington Hilton on Saturday, April 25 (Cole Allen/LinkedIn)
Cole Tomas Allen exchanged gunfire with law enforcement and was tackled to the ground as the White House Correspondents' Dinner was underway at the Washington Hilton on Saturday, April 25 (Cole Allen/LinkedIn)

WASHINGTON, DC: A neighbor of suspected White House Correspondents' Dinner shooter Cole Tomas Allen has suggested he may be “on the spectrum,” as new details continue to emerge following the chaotic shooting that led to the evacuation of President Donald Trump and top officials.

The remark came after reporters visited Allen’s California residence, where a brief exchange with someone inside the home and comments from a neighbor offered a glimpse into how the suspect was perceived locally.

Guest evacuate after an incident at the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
Guests evacuate after an incident at the White House Correspondents Dinner on Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Cole Tomas Allen's neighbor’s remark raises questions

The New York Post reported that when reporters knocked on Allen’s door in Torrance, California, a voice inside responded, “Not now.”

Neighbor Jeff Smith, who said he had met Allen only once, shared his impression of the 31-year-old teacher.

(Truth Social/@realdonaldtrump)
According to authorities, Cole Tomas Allen, 31, from Torrance, California, rushed a security checkpoint while carrying multiple weapons as the White House Correspondents' Dinner was underway (Truth Social/@realDonaldTrump)

“The one interaction. I had was like, maybe he could be on the spectrum,” Smith said.

Allen was identified as the suspect who allegedly opened fire near a security screening area at the Washington Hilton during the high-profile dinner, prompting panic among attendees and a swift security response.

Suspect was a guest at Washington Hilton 

According to DC police chief Jeffrey Carroll, Allen was believed to be staying at the hotel where the event was held.

“So, preliminary information, we do believe he was a guest here at the hotel," Carroll told reporters at a news conference. “We have a secure room here in the hotel, and again, we'll go through the appropriate procedures to determine what was inside there.”



Carroll added that authorities believe Allen acted alone and that his hotel room had been secured as part of the investigation.

Charges announced

US Attorney for DC Jeanine Pirro confirmed that the suspect faces multiple federal charges following the incident.

“The defendant will be arraigned on Monday in federal district court. Make no mistake, there will be many more charges based upon the information that we are learning,” Pirro said.

The suspect has been charged with using a firearm during a crime of violence and assault on a federal officer using a dangerous weapon, according to officials.



The shooting occurred shortly after 8.30 pm near the event’s main security area, sending guests scrambling for cover inside the venue. Trump, first lady Melania Trump, and several cabinet members were quickly evacuated as law enforcement detained the suspect at the scene.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 25: (L-R) White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, Melania Trump, U.S. President Donald Trump, and Weijia Jiang attend as Mentalist Oz Pearlman hosts The White House Correspondents Dinner at Washington Hilton on April 25, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for OP)
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt, first lady Melania Trump, President Donald Trump, and Weijia Jiang attend as Mentalist Oz Pearlman hosts The White House Correspondents Dinner at the Washington Hilton on April 25, 2026, in Washington, DC (Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for OP)

Authorities said the investigation remains ongoing as they examine evidence and possible motives behind the attack.

RELATED TOPICS WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS’ DINNER

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Tiffany Trump, Michael Boulos, and Tiger Woods attended Kai Trump’s graduation ceremony to support her in Florida
2 hours ago
Trump’s post came as Rachel Campos-Duffy accompanied her husband, Sean Duffy, to cover the Rededicate 250 event
4 hours ago
A White House post is the latest example of the much-controversial pattern followed by Trump’s second-term communications team
5 hours ago
Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
6 hours ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
6 hours ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
7 hours ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
7 hours ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
18 hours ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
1 day ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
1 day ago