Outrage as Paul Pelosi attacker David DePape resentenced to 30 years after judge's 'clear error' in first hearing

David DePape told the court that he felt "horribly for hurting" Paul Pelosi
PUBLISHED MAY 29, 2024
David Depape (L) attacked Nancy Pelosi's husband, Paul Pelosi in their house in October 2022 (Inside Edition/YouTube, Getty Images)
David Depape (L) attacked Nancy Pelosi's husband, Paul Pelosi in their house in October 2022 (Inside Edition/YouTube, Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: David DePape, the man convicted of attacking Paul Pelosi, husband to former House Speaker and Representative Nancy Pelosi, with a hammer, was resentenced to 30 years in prison on May 28, after a federal judge told him she was “truly sorry” for not allowing him to speak during his initial sentencing.

Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley, who presided over DePape's case, admitted in a filing that it was a “clear error” not to allow the suspect to speak during his original sentencing on May 17. "I’m truly sorry for my mistake," Corley stated in court before DePape, 44, tearfully read a prepared statement expressing his regret. "I feel horribly for hurting Mr Pelosi," DePape told the court.

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 05: Paul Pelosi and Nancy Pelosi attend the 44th Kennedy Center Honors at
David DePape says he feels 'horrible' for hurting Paul Pelosi and 'should have gone home when [he] found out Nancy Pelosi wasn’t there' (Getty Images)

"I should have gone home when I found out Nancy Pelosi wasn’t there" on the night of the attack at the couple’s San Francisco home in October 2022. Reflecting on his actions, he added, "looking back, I can see I was not doing well," the New York Post reports. DePape was then resentenced to 30 years in jail term.

David DePape admits to bludgeoning Paul Pelosi with hammer

During the trial, DePape admitted to breaking into the Pelosi home on October 28, 2022, intending to hold the then-Speaker hostage and “break her kneecaps” if she lied to him. He also confessed to bludgeoning Pelosi with a hammer after police arrived, expressing frustration as his plan to combat what he viewed as government corruption unraveled.



 

David DePape had a lengthy criminal history

DePape was convicted last year for attempting to kidnap a federal official and assaulting an immediate family member of that official. Prosecutors had asked Corley for a 40-year prison term. Following the original sentencing, the Pelosi family released a statement praising Pelosi's bravery. “The Pelosi family couldn’t be prouder of their Pop and his tremendous courage in saving his own life on the night of the attack and in testifying in this case.

DP
David DePape is shown in Berkeley, California, on Dec. 13, 2013 (Inside Edition/YouTube)

"Speaker Pelosi and her family are immensely grateful to all who have sent love and prayers over the last eighteen months, as Mr Pelosi continues his recovery,” the statement read. Further, in a written victim impact statement, Pelosi shared that his life has been “irrevocably changed” since the attack.

Internet speaks out against David DePape sentencing in Paul Pelosi hammer attack

The internet thinks that DePape's sentencing was "ridiculous" and called it one of the stiffest sentence handed down to a "non-murderer."

A user tweeted, "That has to be the stiffest sentence handed down to a non-murderer in California in decades."

Another added, "Im surprised he didnt Epsteined himself." "Ohhh are we enforcing the law in California again? Or is it only when the elite are the victims?" questioned a user.

"they don't want him talking to anyone until mr. p is long gone," read a tweet. "Two tier justice system," commented a user. "That sentence is ridiculous. Guess it pays to be a rich democrat in a democrat controlled city," remarked a user.



 



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Democratic members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said, 'No one connected to Jeffrey Epstein will escape accountability'
47 minutes ago
Trump teased Marco Rubio over positive reviews at the Munich Security Conference, saying he might have to fire him if the praise continued
1 hour ago
Pointing to newly surfaced documents, Marjorie Taylor Greene claimed American leaders had shifted focus away from unresolved Epstein-linked matters
3 hours ago
FCC Chair Brendan Carr says CBS acted within the law and the uproar over Colbert’s Talarico segment was amplified for political gain
11 hours ago
Barack Obama’s strategist David Axelrod recalled Donald Trump boasting about polls in 2011, saying few believed he would become president
11 hours ago
Beshear says how ICE enforces laws matters, urging humane practices and respect for human dignity even as border security continues
12 hours ago
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez denied presidential ambitions, saying speculation overshadowed the substance of her Munich remarks
12 hours ago
Lara Trump recalled that despite the atmosphere of 'despair' after the 2020 election, Trump shifted the mood during their first dinner in Palm Beach
14 hours ago
Clinton links Trump’s 2020 defeat to lasting shifts in his behavior and mindset, citing changes in language, gestures, and political actions
14 hours ago
Ken Paxton rejected John Cornyn’s warnings, arguing he is better positioned to energize 'America First' voters and win in November
14 hours ago