Pete Hegseth says Nicolas Maduro and wife were unaware of raid until the last-minute arrest

Pete Hegseth revealed Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and Cilia Flores were caught off guard by the US military raid
PUBLISHED JAN 6, 2026
Pete Hegseth revealed Maduro and Cilia Flores were unaware of the US raid (Getty Images)
Pete Hegseth revealed Maduro and Cilia Flores were unaware of the US raid (Getty Images)


NEWPORT NEWS, VIRGINIA: Secretary of War Pete Hegseth revealed that Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were completely caught off guard by the US military raid that led to Maduro’s arrest. According to Hegseth, the couple had no warning until the final minutes before American forces arrived.

Pete Hegseth says Nicolas Maduro had no warning before raid

Pete Hegseth pauses to talk to reporters after a series of meetings with senators in the Russell Senate Office Building on Capitol Hill on November 21, 2024 in Washington, DC. Hegseth was nominated by President-elect Donald Trump to be the next Secretary of Defense. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Pete Hegseth spoke to reporters after meetings with senators in Washington DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Speaking to sailors aboard the USS John F. Kennedy aircraft carrier in Virginia, Hegseth said Maduro had no knowledge of the operation until moments before American forces reached him.

"Nicolas Maduro got to meet some great Americans wearing night vision goggles three nights ago," Hegseth said.

"He didn't know they were coming until three minutes before they arrived. In fact, his wife said, 'I think I hear aircraft outside.' They didn't know. You know why? Because every single part of that chain did their job."

Trump says the raid was delayed for several days

ABU NAKHLAH, QATAR - OCTOBER 25: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media following a meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim ibn Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister of Qatar Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani aboard Air Force One during a refueling stop at Al-Udeid Air Base on October 25, 2025 in Abu Nakhlah, Qatar. Trump is traveling to Malaysia for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit (ASEAN), Japan, and to South Korea for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC). (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Donald Trump briefed media after meetings with Qatari leaders aboard Air Force One (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

According to President Donald Trump, the operation had been postponed multiple times as forces waited for ideal conditions. The original plan was to capture Maduro earlier in the week, but weather and tactical considerations forced a delay.

“We waited four days. We were going to do this four days ago, three days ago, two days ago. And then all of a sudden it opened up, and we said, ‘Go,’” Trump explained.

Trump added that he observed the operation from a secure room at Mar-a-Lago alongside generals, monitoring “every aspect” of what he described as an “extremely complex” military mission.

Nicolas Maduro captured despite fortress-like hideout

Nicolas Maduro on board the USS Iwo Jima. (Trump Truth Social)
Nicolas Maduro was escorted onto the USS Iwo Jima following his capture (@realDonaldTrump/X)

Trump described Maduro’s hideout as a structure designed to withstand a siege, with reinforced steel doors and a specially built safe room. Despite these defenses, Maduro was captured before reaching safety.

“He was in a house that was more like a fortress than a house,” Trump said. “It had steel doors. It had what they call a safety space, where it’s solid steel all around.”

Trump explained that Maduro attempted to flee into the secure area but failed.

“He didn’t get that space closed. He was trying to get into it, but he got bum rushed so fast that he didn’t make it,” Trump said.

He emphasized that forces had prepared for every scenario, including breaching reinforced steel barriers if necessary. “We were prepared. We had massive blowtorches and everything else that you need to get through that steel. But we didn’t need it. He didn’t make it to that area of the house,” Trump added.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
1 hour ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
2 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
3 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
4 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
16 hours ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
1 day ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
1 day ago