Trump says US considering 'winding down' Iran war as goals 'close to meeting objectives'

Trump said the plan is to stop Iran from reaching 'close to nuclear capability'
President Donald Trump explained why he is considering stepping back from the war with Iran (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump explained why he is considering stepping back from the war with Iran (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump said that the US is considering "winding down" its military actions against Iran, although it is not asking for a ceasefire. On his Truth Social account, Trump mentioned, "We are getting very close to meeting our objectives as we consider winding down our great Military efforts in the Middle East with respect to the Regime of Iran."

He indicated that the US is nearing the goals it established for the military campaign, which could mean fewer operations soon. He explained the rationale behind the decision. Even White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt echoed the same statement, reaffirming that the US is planning to end the war.

The fighting has now entered its 21st day. The first missile strike happened on February 28, and since then, the US has been closely watching the situation and determining next steps.

President Donald Trump, center, holds a helmet and football, after speaking at the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy presentation with the Navy Midshipmen football team in the East Room of the White House, Friday, March 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump holds a helmet and football, after speaking at the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy presentation with the Navy Midshipmen football team in the East Room of the White House, March 20, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

Trump says US considering 'winding down' war against Iran

Trump shared a Truth Social post on Saturday, March 21, where he elaborated on his current thoughts regarding de-escalating the tensions with Iran. Instead of asking for a ceasefire, he focused on what the US military has already achieved and why he believes the situation is moving in that direction. 

He listed the main goals of the operation, saying, "(1) Completely degrading Iranian Missile Capability, Launchers, and everything else pertaining to them. (2) Destroying Iran’s Defense Industrial Base."

He continues, "(3) Eliminating their Navy and Air Force, including Anti-Aircraft Weaponry. (4) Never allowing Iran to get even close to Nuclear Capability, and always being in a position where the USA. can quickly and powerfully react to such a situation, should it take place. (5) Protecting, at the highest level, our Middle Eastern Allies, including Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, and others."

Oil tankers and cargo ships line up in the Strait of Hormuz as seen from Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, Wednesday, March 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)
Oil tankers and cargo ships line up in the Strait of Hormuz as seen from Khor Fakkan, United Arab Emirates, March 11, 2026 (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

He additionally discussed the Strait of Hormuz, referring to it as a crucial passage that needs to stay secure. He mentioned that nations utilizing this route should take accountability for its protection. Trump said, "will have to be guarded and policed, as necessary, by other Nations who use it - The United States does not! If asked, we will help these Countries in their Hormuz efforts, but it shouldn’t be necessary once Iran’s threat is eradicated. Importantly, it will be an easy Military Operation for them. Thank you for your attention to this matter!"

His comments came shortly after he told journalists that he had ruled out a ceasefire with Iran. This shows that even though the US is considering slowing its military actions, it is not planning to fully end the conflict right now.

Trump signals caution, leaves Iran plans unclear 

Trump said he does not plan to send US ground troops to fight Iran. However, a report in The Wall Street Journal said that about 2,200 to 2,500 US Marines could be sent to the region, though he did not clearly confirm it.

When asked about a report by Axios on possibly blocking or taking control of Iran’s Kharg Island oil hub, Trump gave a brief reply. He said, "I may have a plan or I may not," without providing any further details.

At the same time, the US Treasury has allowed the purchase of Iranian oil that is already at sea to help control rising prices. This applies only to oil loaded before 12:01 am on Friday, March 20, and the permission will last until April 19.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
3 hours ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
4 hours ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
4 hours ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
4 hours ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
4 hours ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
5 hours ago
RFK Jr called the move 'sinister', questioning why the agency had not fully released the records despite a 1992 law mandating their disclosure by 2025
5 hours ago
White House shooting drew bipartisan condemnation as officials praised Secret Service response
5 hours ago
Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
7 hours ago
The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
7 hours ago