8-year-old killed in mass shooting identified as Stockton Unified student

Stockton Unified School District confirmed an 8-year-old student was among four killed in the Stockton banquet hall shooting during a birthday party
San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said 15 people were shot at the Stockton banquet hall, with victims aged 8, 9, 14 and 21 among the four killed (Getty Images)
San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said 15 people were shot at the Stockton banquet hall, with victims aged 8, 9, 14 and 21 among the four killed (Getty Images)

STOCKTON, CALIFORNIA: An 8-year-old child killed in the mass shooting at a Stockton banquet hall has been identified by the Stockton Unified School District (SUSD) as one of their students, making the youngest victim of the attack a member of the school community.

The deadly incident, which unfolded during a birthday party gathering, left four dead and several others wounded.

8-year-old Stockton student identified among shooting victims

District officials have confirmed that an 8-year-old killed during a mass shooting on Saturday evening at a children’s birthday party has been identified as a Stockton Unified student.



Spokesperson Melinda Meza said in an email that district officials on Sunday night confirmed that the youngest of the four people killed in the hail of gunfire attended an SUSD school, although no additional details, including the name, have been released.

“We are deeply saddened to learn that one of the victims of last night’s tragic mass shooting was a Stockton Unified School District student,” SUSD Superintendent Michelle Rodriguez said in a statement late Sunday.

“We hold this student’s family in our hearts, and we grieve alongside them and our entire community.” 

Gunmen open fire at Stockton birthday party, killing four

The announcement came less than 24 hours after multiple gunmen reportedly fired into a north Stockton banquet hall where more than 100 people were celebrating a child’s birthday.

San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office Press Information Officer Heather Brent makes remarks during a press conference near the scene of a shooting on November 30, 2025 in Stockton, California. A suspect is still at large after four people were killed and 11 were wounded in a shooting during a family gathering at a banquet hall. (Photo by Benjamin Fanjoy/Getty Images)
San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office Press Information Officer Heather Brent makes remarks during a press conference near the scene of a shooting on November 30, 2025 in Stockton, California. A suspect is still at large after four people were killed and 11 were wounded in a shooting during a family gathering at a banquet hall (Benjamin Fanjoy/Getty Images)

The tragic event left four people dead, three of them children, and at least 11 others wounded.

The shooting occurred just before 6 pm at a banquet hall in the 1900 block of Lucile Avenue in a neighborhood just north of Hammer Lane, according to the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office.

Initial reports indicated that 14 people had been shot in the attack, four of whom died. On Sunday, however, sheriff’s spokesperson Heather Brent said the number of those struck by gunfire was 15. She said the ages of the victims killed were 8, 9, 14, and 21.  

Officials say Stockton shooting wasn’t random as search continues



During a news conference Sunday afternoon, authorities said no arrests have been made, and investigators have not released any information on possible suspects.

San Joaquin County Sheriff Patrick Withrow said a motive for the shooting has not yet been identified, despite earlier comments from city and county officials suggesting the attack was gang-related.

“We’re confident that this was not a random act. They walked into this area and were probably looking for somebody in particular,” Withrow said at the news conference.

“Why they did that, what they’re part of, who they are, we don’t know.” 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Tiffany Trump, Michael Boulos, and Tiger Woods attended Kai Trump’s graduation ceremony to support her in Florida
6 hours ago
Trump’s post came as Rachel Campos-Duffy accompanied her husband, Sean Duffy, to cover the Rededicate 250 event
8 hours ago
A White House post is the latest example of the much-controversial pattern followed by Trump’s second-term communications team
10 hours ago
Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
10 hours ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
11 hours ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
11 hours ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
12 hours ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
22 hours ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
1 day ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
1 day ago