Brown University shooting suspect swapped rental car plates hindering search, AG says

Authorities said Claudio Neves Valente evaded detection by changing plates on a rental car before it was traced to Salem, New Hampshire
UPDATED DEC 19, 2025
Claudio Neves Valente was identified by authorities as the suspect in the Brown University shooting after an extended search (@nicksortor/X, Providence Police)
Claudio Neves Valente was identified by authorities as the suspect in the Brown University shooting after an extended search (@nicksortor/X, Providence Police)

PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND: The mass shooting at Brown University has left the campus and the wider community reeling, as investigators continue to piece together the suspect’s movements in the days following the attack.

Authorities have now identified the suspect as Claudio Neves Valente, and new details explain why he remained difficult to locate for several days. According to Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha, Valente deliberately switched license plates on a rental vehicle, a move that significantly slowed the investigation.

Speaking at a news conference, Neronha said the suspect’s actions appeared calculated. “He knew what he was doing. He was changing plates. That’s why the work of following and finding this car made it more difficult,” the attorney general said, as reported by CNN.



Law enforcement officials also confirmed that the vehicle connected to the suspect was a rental car, a detail that further complicated efforts to track his movements after the shooting.

Plate swap delayed investigators as Claudio Neves Valente attempted to evade detection

Investigators initially made progress after a witness provided a license plate number believed to be connected to the shooting. That information helped authorities begin tracing the vehicle’s path. However, officials said the investigation stalled once Valente changed the plates.

People gather outside a storage facility where a suspect in the shooting at Brown University was found dead, Thursday, Dec. 18, 2025, in Salem, N.H. (AP Photo/Reba Saldanha)
People gathered outside a Salem, New Hampshire storage facility where Claudio Neves Valente was found dead (AP Photo/Reba Saldanha)

According to two law enforcement officials who spoke to CNN, the breakthrough came when a license plate reader picked up one of the plates associated with the vehicle. The alert led authorities to Salem, New Hampshire, where the rental car was later located.

Police said the car had been abandoned in the area, raising further questions about the suspect’s movements and intentions in the days after the shooting.

Rental car and storage unit helped confirm suspect’s movements

Further investigation revealed that Valente had a storage unit registered in his name at an Extra Space Storage facility in Salem. Authorities believe this connection helped them reconstruct his final movements, despite his efforts to mislead investigators by swapping license plates.



Law enforcement officials later found Valente dead inside the storage facility, according to a source familiar with the investigation. His death brought an end to the manhunt but left investigators focused on understanding how he managed to evade detection for as long as he did.

More details emerge about Claudio Neves Valente

Officials said Valente was 48 years old and a lawful permanent resident of the United States. He entered the country in 2000 on an F-1 student visa and was granted permanent resident status in 2017.



Authorities have not released additional details about a possible motive, and the investigation into the shooting remains ongoing. Officials continue to review surveillance footage, witness statements, and forensic evidence to determine the full sequence of events.

As the case develops, law enforcement leaders said the suspect’s deliberate efforts to conceal his movements underscore the challenges investigators faced in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
50 minutes ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
8 hours ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
9 hours ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
9 hours ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
12 hours ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
13 hours ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
1 day ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
1 day ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
1 day ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
1 day ago