DOJ launches civil rights probe into Minnesota shooting of Alex Pretti

'We're looking at everything that would shed light on what happened that day and in the days and weeks leading up to what happened', Blanche said
UPDATED JAN 30, 2026
Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche confirmed the investigation, saying federal authorities would examine Alex Pretti's shooting and the circumstances surrounding it (Getty Images)
Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche confirmed the investigation, saying federal authorities would examine Alex Pretti's shooting and the circumstances surrounding it (Getty Images)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: The Justice Department launched a federal civil rights investigation into the fatal shooting of Alex Pretti, a Minneapolis resident shot dead by Border Patrol officers.

Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche confirmed the probe on Friday, January 30, signaling that federal authorities were examining not only the moments surrounding Pretti’s death, but also the broader context leading up to it.

“We’re looking at everything that would shed light on what happened that day and in the days and weeks leading up to what happened,” Blanche said during a news conference.



Todd Blanche declined to explain DOJ probe decision

Blanche declined to specify what factors prompted the Justice Department to open the investigation, noting only that the Civil Rights Division did not automatically review every law enforcement shooting.

“There have to be circumstances and facts that warrant an investigation,” he said.

Blanche contrasted the Pretti case with the killing of Renee Good, who was shot by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer in Minneapolis, saying a similar federal probe was not justified in that instance.

Still, Blanche emphasized that the Pretti shooting had drawn the attention of the White House.

President Trump has said repeatedly, ‘Of course, this is something we’re going to investigate,’” Blanche stated.

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 24: People pay their respects during a candlelight vigil for Alex Pretti after he was shot and killed earlier in the day on January 24, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Federal agents shot and killed Pretti amid a scuffle to arrest him. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
People pay their respects during a candlelight vigil for Alex Pretti after he was shot and killed earlier in the day on January 24, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

FBI assumes control of federal investigation

In a parallel development, the Department of Homeland Security announced that the FBI would now lead the federal investigation into Pretti’s death, replacing Homeland Security Investigations, which had initially been designated to oversee the case.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem disclosed the change during a Fox News interview Thursday night.

“We are continuing to gather information, and the FBI leading this investigation is important to make sure that we talk about these situations appropriately,” Noem said while speaking to host Sean Hannity.



DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin said that Homeland Security Investigations will provide support to the FBI. Customs and Border Protection, which employs the officers involved, was also conducting an internal review of the shooting.

DHS did not immediately explain why the lead agency was changed. It remained unclear whether federal investigators would share evidence with Minnesota state authorities, who have thus far been excluded from the federal probe.

The shift in investigative leadership comes amid mounting scrutiny over official statements made in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.



Noem initially claimed that Pretti had brandished a handgun and aggressively approached officers. However, multiple videos later released appeared to contradict that account.

Federal authorities were also reviewing video from an encounter between Pretti and immigration officers 11 days before his death.

The January 13 footage showed Pretti yelling at federal vehicles, spitting, and kicking out the taillight of one government vehicle.

 A brief struggle followed, after which Pretti broke free or was released and ran away. When his back was turned to the camera, what appeared to be a handgun was visible in his waistband.

The videos did not show Pretti attempting to draw the weapon, and it's unclear whether officers noticed it during the encounter.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
2 hours ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
10 hours ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
10 hours ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
11 hours ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
14 hours ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
15 hours ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
1 day ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
1 day ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
1 day ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
1 day ago