GOP candidate Chris Madel withdraws Minnesota governor bid over 'unconstitutional' federal crackdown

Chris Madel warned that weaponizing investigations against rivals undermined constitutional protections and eroded democratic principles
UPDATED JAN 27, 2026
Chris Madel denounced 'Operation Metro Surge', saying it unfairly targeted citizens and forced many to carry proof of citizenship (Screengrab/@Madelforgov/Instagram, Getty Images)
Chris Madel denounced 'Operation Metro Surge', saying it unfairly targeted citizens and forced many to carry proof of citizenship (Screengrab/@Madelforgov/Instagram, Getty Images)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Republican gubernatorial candidate Chris Madel ended his bid for Minnesota governor on Monday, January 26, citing opposition to what he described as punitive federal actions affecting state residents.

Madel said that he could not continue as a candidate while national Republican leaders supported policies he believed undermined constitutional protections.

His announcement came as Minnesota faced heightened scrutiny and tension over federal immigration enforcement activity. Madel had been one of several Republicans competing for the party’s nomination in the race for governor.

Chris Madel ends campaign citing objections to federal actions

In a statement announcing his withdrawal, Madel said that he could no longer support what he characterized as retaliatory actions directed at Minnesotans.

“I can't support national Republicans' state retribution on the citizens of our state, nor can I count myself a member of a party that would do so,” he said.



Madel criticized 'Operation Metro Surge', saying it had moved beyond its stated objectives. 

“Operation Metro Surge has expanded far beyond its stated focus on true public safety threats,” he said. “United States citizens, particularly those of Color, live in fear. United States citizens are carrying papers to prove their citizenship. That's wrong.”

He also raised concerns about the use of law enforcement and investigations in political contexts.

“Weaponizing criminal investigations against political opponents is unconstitutional regardless of who is in power,” Madel said.

Madel appeared on WCCO’s 'Sunday Morning with Esme Murphy' slightly more than a week before ending his campaign, where he alleged that Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey was directing the Minneapolis Police Department to oppose federal immigration enforcement efforts.

House Oversight Committee Holds Hearing On Minnesota Fraud Investigation
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 07: Minnesota State Rep. Kristin Robbins (L) delivers an opening statement as she testifies alongside (L-R) Minnesota State Reps. Walter Hudson and Marion Rarick and former special counsel at the Department of Justice Brendan Ballou during a hearing before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee about the Trump Administration's decision to freeze $10 billion in child care funds for families with low incomes in California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota and New York at the U.S. Capitol on January 07, 2026 in Washington, DC. Federal prosecutors filed charges against dozens of people in Minnesota, many from the area's Somali community, with stealing upwards of billions of taxpayer dollars through fraudulent social services schemes. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Minnesota State Rep Kristin Robbins (L) delivers an opening statement as she testifies alongside (L-R) Minnesota State Reps Walter Hudson and Marion Rarick and former special counsel at the Department of Justice Brendan Ballou during a hearing before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee about the Trump Administration's decision to freeze $10 billion in child care funds for families with low incomes in California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota and New York at the Capitol on January 07, 2026 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Before dropping out, Madel was part of a crowded Republican field seeking the governorship.

Other candidates included Minnesota House Speaker Lisa Demuth, 2022 Republican nominee Dr Scott Jensen, US Army veteran and business owner Kendall Qualls, and Minnesota Rep Kristin Robbins.

His exit narrowed the field as the race continued to unfold against the backdrop of escalating federal-state tensions.

Trump says he will send Border Czar Tom Homan to Minnesota

President Donald Trump said on Monday that he planned on sending Border Zzar Tom Homan to Minnesota, announcing the move on social media. 

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters on board Air Force One while flying in between Ireland and Washington as he returns from the World Economic Forum on January 22, 2026 (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters on board Air Force One while flying between Ireland and Washington as he returns from the World Economic Forum on January 22, 2026 (Getty Images)

“He has not been involved in that area, but knows and likes many of the people there,” Trump said. “Tom is tough but fair, and will report directly to me.”

Homan, who was appointed border czar ahead of Trump’s second term, had previously vowed to “run the biggest deportation operation this country's ever seen.”

He had also said that Immigration and Customs Enforcement would carry out the administration’s plans in a “humane manner.”

The announcement came as Minnesota law enforcement leaders sought dialogue with the White House.

The Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association requested a meeting with Trump, calling it “constructive and timely” given what it described as “complex, high-pressure environments” facing officers across the state. 

A picture sits at a memorial to Alex Pretti on January 25, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Pretti, an ICU nurse at a VA medical center, died on January 24 after being shot multiple times during a brief altercation with border patrol agents in the Eat Street district of Minneapolis. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
A picture sits at a memorial to Alex Pretti on January 25, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

The group emphasized the need for “thoughtful leadership and responsible communication” to avoid escalating tensions, while stressing that officer safety and public trust remained interconnected priorities.

The association said greater dialogue among federal and state leaders was essential to maintaining public confidence and public safety.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Oversight Committee seeks answers on Andrew’s ties to Epstein as new documents suggest possible misconduct during UK trade role
43 minutes ago
Younger Democrats increasingly identify as socialists, while conservative members shrink, highlighting the party’s leftward shift
1 hour ago
Chuck Schumer rejected voter ID despite polls showing 83 percent support and opposed ICE at polls as the SAVE America Act heads to the Senate
2 hours ago
Former president says life beyond Earth is possible but doubts humans have been visited by extraterrestrials
2 hours ago
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez criticized Pam Bondi’s remarks on predators and said the case reaches top levels, urging accountability
2 hours ago
Hillary Clinton accused Donald Trump of betraying Western values and modeling himself after Vladimir Putin during a Munich Security Conference panel
3 hours ago
Thomas Massie said billionaire allies tied to the Epstein circle are funding attacks against him, whether or not they are named in the files
4 hours ago
Homan said ICE actions strengthened safety and blamed state leaders’ policies, rejecting their claims of economic harm from the enforcement push
4 hours ago
Marjorie Taylor Greene said that Donald Trump fought to block the Epstein files’ release and signed the bill only after political pressure
4 hours ago
Mark Kelly said President Donald Trump damaged the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, warning Russia and China benefit from weakened alliances
5 hours ago