Hegseth’s Pentagon power fight takes new turn as top Army Official weighs exit
WASHINGTON, DC: Power friction in Pentagon has reportedly resulted in Army Secretary Dan Driscoll looking to leave his role at the Pentagon around the end of 2026 following a months-long rift with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.
Driscoll departure is imminent over inside tussle
A former White House official and another source familiar with the discussions revealed the development of Driscoll's departure to The Hill on Friday, August 21.
A third source said Driscoll has long believed that an Army secretary in the Trump administration typically stays in the role for about 23 to 24 months. Driscoll, an ally of Vice President JD Vance, was confirmed by the Senate on Feb. 25 last year in a 66-28 vote.
His spokesperson declined to comment.
Driscoll has pushed the Army to improve living conditions for troops and modernize its equipment. He has also pushed the service to learn from Ukraine about using commercial technology in modern warfare.
One source said Driscoll has been “aggressive” in getting senior Army officers on board with his plans, given his limited time in the role.
Driscoll caught in Hegseth’s Pentagon power battle
The Army Secretary has also been involved in a simmering battle for influence with Hegseth, with tension flaring late last year when Trump picked Driscoll to negotiate with Ukrainian officials in hopes of ending the Russia-Ukraine war.
During his tenure Driscoll came in close relationship with the former Army’s chief of staff, Gen Randy George. George was fired by Hegseth from his role in early April.
Last year, Driscoll and George launched the Army Transformation Initiative. The plan focused on three areas: improving warfighting capabilities, changing the Army’s force structure and cutting waste and outdated programs.
The plan also focused on bringing drones and artificial intelligence into Army units.
President Trump and Hegseth then picked Gen. Christopher LaNeve, the Army vice chief of staff, to serve as the Army’s acting chief of staff.
However, LaNeve’s confirmation is in question over bispartisan objection.
Notably, Army is trying to phase out the unit that was studying and incorporating the lesson learnt from overseas wars, including the use of unmanned systems in the Russia-Ukraine war.
The battalion, which is a part of the 173rd Airborne Brigade, was supported by senior Army leadership, including George and Gen Chris Donahue, the former commander of US Army Europe and Africa.