House Republicans target Hillary Clinton in contempt over Epstein testimony refusal

Former President Bill Clinton’s absence from the deposition also led Chair James Comer to confirm contempt action by the House Oversight Committee
The Clintons told House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer in a letter that the subpoenas were invalid and confirmed that they would not testify before the Oversight Committee (Dominik Bindl/Getty Images)
The Clintons told House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer in a letter that the subpoenas were invalid and confirmed that they would not testify before the Oversight Committee (Dominik Bindl/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The House Oversight Committee announced plans to hold former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in contempt of Congress after she failed to appear for a scheduled deposition in the panel’s investigation into Jeffrey Epstein, Chairman James Comer announced on Wednesday, January 14.

The decision followed a similar move against former President Bill Clinton, whom Comer said the committee would also seek to hold in contempt after he did not appear for his deposition on Tuesday.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 20: Former US President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton arrive for the Presidential Inauguration of Donald Trump at the US Capitol on January 20, 2017 in Washington, DC. Donald J. Trump will become the 45th president of the United States today. (Photo by Saul Loeb - Pool/Getty Images)
Former President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Clinton arrive for the Presidential Inauguration of Donald Trump at the US Capitol on January 20, 2017, in Washington, DC (Saul Loeb - Pool/Getty Images)

Clintons reject subpoenas and question their legal validity

The committee subpoenaed both Clintons last year, initially scheduling their depositions for October.

Those dates were later postponed to December due to their attendance at a funeral. Comer said that the Clintons’ legal team did not offer alternative dates, prompting the committee to reschedule the depositions for mid-January.

In a letter sent to Comer on Tuesday, the Clintons said that the subpoenas were “legally invalid” and confirmed that they would not appear. The letter cited legal analyses prepared by two law firms that were shared with the committee earlier this week.

“Every person has to decide when they have seen or had enough and are ready to fight for this country, its principles and its people, no matter the consequences,” the Clintons wrote. “For us, now is that time.”

They added that they expected the committee to vote to hold them in contempt, stating, “Now you have to make yours.”

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 01: Hillary Clinton speaks onstage during a conversation with Margaret Hoover for
Hillary Clinton speaks onstage during a conversation with Margaret Hoover for 'Something Lost, Something Gained' at 92NY on May 01, 2025, in New York City (Dominik Bindl/Getty Images)

Legal arguments and political reactions

In a separate letter, attorneys Ashley Callen and David E Kendall argued that the subpoenas were “invalid and legally unenforceable,” calling them an unprecedented violation of the separation of powers and unrelated to a legitimate legislative purpose.

House Speaker Mike Johnson said on Monday that failing to appear would constitute contempt of Congress.

Hillary Clinton spokesperson Nick Merrill questioned the investigation’s relevance, saying the committee had not explained what Clinton “has to do with this.”

(Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
Hillary Clinton has not been accused of wrongdoing in connection with Jeffrey Epstein (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

Hillary Clinton not accused of wrongdoing 

Hillary Clinton has not been accused of wrongdoing in connection with Epstein, and her name has reportedly not appeared in the thousands of documents released under the 'Epstein Files Transparency Act'.

While photos of Bill Clinton appeared in the initial document release, he denied wrongdoing and said that he had cut ties with Epstein before the financier’s 2006 arrest. 

The Justice Department said that more than two million Epstein-related files remained unreleased, despite a statutory deadline that was passed in December.

While Republicans argued that in-person testimony from high-profile figures like the Clintons was necessary to fully understand Epstein’s network, critics contended that the subpoenas were politically motivated and distracted from efforts to release the remaining millions of documents requested by Congress.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Laura Loomer also claimed Nasire Best made a TikTok post threatening violence against Donald Trump in December 2025
6 hours ago
Amin Abdullah’s sons remembered their father as a hero after he died protecting children during a mosque attack
7 hours ago
'Forever yours, forever mine,' Bettina Anderson captioned a black-and-white photo shared on Instagram Stories
8 hours ago
Karoline Leavitt praised Marco Rubio and JD Vance after the pair stepped in during her maternity leave
8 hours ago
FBI agents must qualify through local rounds before competing in Quantico, where the event will focus on fitness and team-building
8 hours ago
More than 40,000 residents were evacuated after emergency teams were unable to neutralize the chemical tank at an aerospace facility
9 hours ago
Abdul Carter mocked Jaxson Dart’s Donald Trump rally appearance, saying he thought the viral clip was created using AI
11 hours ago
Donald Trump Jr and Bettina Anderson celebrated their union alongside Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump and relatives
11 hours ago
A source said Tiger Woods believes Vanessa Trump will recover and is supporting her despite his recent DUI troubles
13 hours ago
Nasire Best allegedly violated prior stay-away orders before opening fire near the White House checkpoint
13 hours ago