Iran issues fresh retaliation warning after reports Trump is considering new military attack

Iran called any US strike on its infrastructure 'an act of madness,' warning it has both the capability and resolve to retaliate
President Donald Trump said the US would hit Iran 'very hard' to pressure Tehran over its nuclear program (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump said the US would hit Iran 'very hard' to pressure Tehran over its nuclear program (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran has issued a fresh warning of retaliation after reports suggested President Donald Trump is considering another round of US military strikes on Iranian targets.

The warning came early Saturday, August 1, shortly after multiple American media outlets reported that the White House was weighing possible military action that could begin as early as this weekend.

Iranian officials said any new attack would be met with retaliatory strikes targeting critical infrastructure in Israel and several Gulf nations. The development marks another sharp escalation in tensions after Israel and Iran last exchanged attacks in early June.



Iran warns key Gulf energy sites are within missile range

According to Iranian news agencies Tasnim and Fars, security officials warned that Iran has prepared a comprehensive response should the United States launch another attack.

Fars reported that American officials should be aware that major energy facilities in Saudi Arabia and Qatar are within range of Iranian missiles.

The report also mentioned facilities in Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates as potential targets in the event of military action.



Tasnim quoted a senior Iranian security official as saying that Iran has already developed a comprehensive retaliatory plan. The official added that Iran's military has previously demonstrated both its capability and willingness to respond to attacks.

The warnings were issued only hours after reports emerged suggesting Washington could be preparing new military operations against Iran.

Reports say Donald Trump is weighing fresh military action

Earlier Friday, CBS News and The Wall Street Journal reported that President Donald Trump was considering launching fresh strikes on Iran as early as this weekend.

Both outlets cited people familiar with the discussions. According to CBS, Israel could also re-enter the conflict if military operations move forward.



Iran and Israel last exchanged attacks in early June, and the latest reports have renewed concerns that fighting could escalate once again.

Axios also reported that any future strikes could once again focus on Iran's energy infrastructure. However, the report said Trump had not made a final decision.

Donald Trump says US will hit Iran 'very hard'

Trump added to the speculation during a Cabinet meeting held Friday at the presidential retreat at Camp David.

Speaking to reporters, the president warned, "We'll be hitting them very hard."

President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters during a Cabinet meeting at Camp David, the presidential retreat, on July 31, 2026 in Camp David, Maryland (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters during a Cabinet meeting at Camp David, the presidential retreat, on July 31, 2026 in Camp David, Maryland (Getty Images)

He did not provide a timeline or elaborate on what actions were under consideration.

When asked about possible developments over the next four weeks, Trump replied, "You know, at some point they're going to say, 'We just can't take it anymore.'"

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
1 day ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
1 day ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
3 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
3 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
4 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
4 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
6 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026