Iran, Oman in talks to secure Hormuz transit as Tehran advances new shipping control plan

Tehran says it is coordinating with Muscat to ensure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz
Bulk carriers and cargo vessels sit anchored offshore as a small motorboat passes through the Strait of Hormuz near Bandar Abbas, Iran, on Monday, May 4, 2026 (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)
Bulk carriers and cargo vessels sit anchored offshore as a small motorboat passes through the Strait of Hormuz near Bandar Abbas, Iran, on Monday, May 4, 2026 (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran on Monday, May 18 said it is working with Oman to establish a new mechanism aimed at ensuring safe maritime transit through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategically important shipping routes.

Speaking in Tehran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Iran remained committed to maintaining safety in the Strait of Hormuz, which lies between Iran and Oman and serves as a critical artery for global oil and gas shipments.

Baqaei said both Iran and Oman viewed themselves as jointly responsible for ensuring secure transit through the strait and were engaged in ongoing diplomatic coordination on the issue.

According to the spokesperson, expert-level delegations from both countries met in Muscat last week to discuss mechanisms aimed at reassuring the international community about the safety of maritime traffic.

He added that consultations between Tehran and Muscat were continuing.

The Strait of Hormuz handles nearly a fifth of the world’s oil trade, making any disruption to traffic through the corridor a major concern for global energy markets and international shipping companies.

ARABIAN SEA - APRIL 20: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this handout photo provided by U.S. Central Command, U.S. forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the U.S. accused of attempting to violate the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz. (Handout Photo by the U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
In this handout photo provided by US Central Command, US forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the US accused of attempting to violate the US naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz (US Navy via Getty Images)

Tehran unveils new shipping authority

The latest Iranian remarks follow the creation of a new authority called the “Persian Gulf Strait Authority” (PGSA), which Tehran says will oversee shipping-related coordination in the region.

Iranian authorities also launched a dedicated social media account on X to provide updates on the body’s operations and activities.

The development has raised concerns among international observers after Iranian officials suggested that ships cooperating with Tehran would be granted passage in exchange for “necessary fees.”

Over the weekend, the head of the Iranian parliament’s national security commission said the country had finalized plans to “manage traffic” through the strait.

Under the proposed system, commercial vessels and entities coordinating with Iranian authorities could receive permission to pass through the waterway upon payment of transit-related charges.

The proposal has fueled fears that Iran may be seeking to exercise greater operational control over one of the world’s busiest maritime chokepoints, especially at a time when regional tensions remain elevated.

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin in the Oval Office of the White House, on St. Patrick's Day, Tuesday, March 17, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Trump speaks during a meeting with Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin in the Oval Office of the White House, on St Patrick's Day, Tuesday, March 17, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Trump says US controls key shipping lane

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said during a recent visit to Beijing that China had offered assistance in reopening shipping access through the Strait of Hormuz, although he dismissed the need for such support.

Trump later asserted that the United States, not Iran  remained in effective control of the shipping corridor, despite reports indicating severe congestion and disruptions in maritime traffic around the strait.

According to a Bloomberg report, nearly two dozen oil tankers were stationed in and around Iran’s main export hub at Kharg Island on Monday.

Analysts cited in the report suggested Tehran may already be informally using the area as a “toll booth” for maritime traffic moving through the region.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Iran’s truce proposal called for ending regional conflicts and lifting all economic and maritime restrictions imposed during the war
7 hours ago
Report says Trump to speak with Netanyahu as he grows frustrated with Iran’s peace terms
1 day ago
Grafstrom says Istanbul talks focused on ensuring Iran’s smooth World Cup participation
1 day ago
Alex Saab, once powerful under Nicolas Maduro, lost his government roles and influence after Maduro was removed from power
1 day ago
Pope reportedly concerned about AI-generated misinformation and erosion of trust in truth
1 day ago
Beijing agreed to cut import levies and extend approvals for US meat facilities after a 65% drop in bilateral farm trade
1 day ago
Iran is preparing a new system to control and manage ship movement through Hormuz, one of the world's most important oil shipping routes
1 day ago
Claire Lai also said she remained hopeful that continued pressure from the United States could eventually help secure her father’s release
2 days ago
Trump also indicated that discussions with Chinese President Xi Jinping included the issue of sanctions on Chinese companies accused of purchasing Iranian oil
2 days ago