Israel report claims Iran’s supreme leader ‘Ali Khamenei is dead’ after joint US-Israel strikes

Israeli media report Ali Khamenei dead, Tehran says leaders ‘alive and safe’
The photo released by the official website of Ali Khamenei's office, the Iranian supreme leader, addresses a meeting in Tehran on Tuesday, February 17, 2026 (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP)
The photo released by the official website of Ali Khamenei's office, the Iranian supreme leader, addresses a meeting in Tehran on Tuesday, February 17, 2026 (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP)

JERUSSELM: ISRAEL: Israeli government believes that the Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, is dead following overnight joint military operations carried out by the United States and Israel.

A translated update from Israeli broadcaster N12 News on Saturday, February 28, cited a senior Israeli official, stating that authorities have assessed Khamenei is “no longer with us” after coordinated strikes targeted key Iranian regime sites.



The report comes amid heightened regional tensions following the announcement of “major combat operations” by Washington earlier in the day.

Demonstrators wave Iranian flags as one holds up a poster of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei during a protest against Israeli attacks on Iran, after the Friday prayer ceremonies on June 20, 2025 in central Tehran, Iran. Over recent days, Iran has been hit by a series of Israeli airstrikes targeting military and nuclear sites, as well as top military officials, prompting Iran to launch a counterattack. (Photo by Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)
Demonstrators wave Iranian flags as one holds up a poster of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei during a protest against Israeli attacks on Iran, after the Friday prayer ceremonies on June 20, 2025, in central Tehran, Iran (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)

Iran denies leadership losses

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi pushed back against the claims in an interview with NBC News on Saturday morning.

“As far as I know, yes, they are alive,” Araghchi said when asked directly whether Khamenei and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian had survived the attacks.

“Almost all officials are safe, and sound, and alive. We may have lost one or two commanders, but that is not a big problem,” he added.

Tehran has not issued any official confirmation regarding casualties at the highest levels of leadership.

Smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026.(AP Photo)
Smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, February 28, 2026 (AP Photo)

Reports of senior military figures killed

Meanwhile, Reuters reported that Iran’s defense minister and the commander of its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) have been eliminated, though Iranian authorities have not publicly confirmed those claims.

Separately, Barak Ravid of Axios cited an Israel Defense Forces (IDF) official as saying: “Three sites where gatherings of the Iranian regime were taking place were struck simultaneously, and several senior figures essential to the management of the campaign and the regime’s governance were eliminated.”

The scale and precision of the reported strikes suggest a coordinated effort to degrade Iran’s military and political command structure.

US and Israel Launch Major Military Strikes on Iran (AP)
US and Israel Launch Major Military Strikes on Iran (AP)

Trump announces ‘major combat operations’

US President Donald Trump confirmed in a video address on Saturday morning that American forces had begun “major combat operations in Iran.”

“Our objective is to defend the American people by eliminating imminent threats from the Iranian regime, a vicious group of very hard, terrible people,” Trump said.

He also urged the Iranian public to “take over” their government once US operations conclude, adding: “America is backing you with overwhelming strength and devastating force.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu framed the joint operation as an opportunity for political transformation inside Iran.

“Our joint operation will create the conditions for the brave Iranian people to take their fate into their own hands,” Netanyahu said.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

President Trump reversed a disputed troop pullout, sending 5,000 soldiers to Warsaw after catching key US allies off guard
2 hours ago
Iran’s embassies repeatedly mocked Donald Trump online, including joking 'we’ve lost the keys' during the Strait of Hormuz crisis
9 hours ago
Rubio reportedly suggested that President Donald Trump has grown increasingly frustrated with allies unwilling to support American military actions in the Middle East
11 hours ago
Assessments pointed to continued Chinese-linked supplies that could aid Iran's missile production and military rebuilding
21 hours ago
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the conflict cannot end unless Iran's uranium, missiles and proxy networks are dismantled
1 day ago
Chinese Foreign Ministry condemned any official US engagement with Taiwan, saying it violates longstanding sovereignty principles
1 day ago
Trump's first face-to-face with several G7 leaders since Iran conflict escalated
2 days ago
On May 14, CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana with President Donald Trump's message linking US engagement to reforms in Cuba
3 days ago
State-linked Iranian media claimed Washington offered a counterproposal easing some oil sanctions during negotiations
4 days ago
Iranian President Masoud President Pezeshkian acknowledged losses from US strikes on Iran and urged officials to avoid rhetoric that fuels division
4 days ago