‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ crew will continue to get paid but show’s fate remains uncertain

The move comes as Disney and host Jimmy Kimmel continue discussions about the program’s future
PUBLISHED SEP 20, 2025
Jimmy Kimmel speaks onstage during the 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards at Fairmont Century Plaza on March 13, 2022 in Los Angeles, California (Amy Sussman/Getty Images for Critics Choice Association)
Jimmy Kimmel speaks onstage during the 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards at Fairmont Century Plaza on March 13, 2022 in Los Angeles, California (Amy Sussman/Getty Images for Critics Choice Association)


 

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' remains off the air following its sudden suspension, but there’s some relief behind the scenes.

According to Deadline, the show’s crew will continue to be paid through next week. The move comes as Disney and host Jimmy Kimmel continue discussions about the program’s future.

Will the show return as usual, or is it facing a shutdown? The question remains unresolved for now.

Jimmy Kimmel attends Metallica's 'All Within My Hands' Foundation Presented by the Helping Hands Concert And Auction 2024 at YouTube Theater on December 13, 2024 in Inglewood, California. (Image Source: Getty Images | Photo by Kevin Winter)
Jimmy Kimmel attends Metallica's 'All Within My Hands' Foundation Presented by the Helping Hands Concert And Auction 2024 at YouTube Theater on December 13, 2024 in Inglewood, California (Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Jimmy Kimmel’s crew to be paid as show’s future hangs in balance

The fate of 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' is still unclear, leaving an estimated 200 to 250 staff in a difficult position. The crew will not have their pay withheld and will be paid from next week, but it remains uncertain whether this signals the show’s possible return.

So far, no concrete decision has been announced by either Kimmel or ABC.

Speaking about Kimmel keeping his staff paid, the host and comedian has consistently stood by his team. This is not the first time he has done so.

During the WGA strike in 2023, when Hollywood productions were shut down, Kimmel ensured his crew received financial support, as per CNN.

Jimmy Kimmel's controversial comment leads to shutdown of his show

The late-night series was pulled indefinitely on September 17, after Kimmel commented about the suspected killer of conservative figure Charlie Kirk, which triggered backlash.

According to NBC News, hours later, Federal Communications Commissioner Brendan Carr, who was appointed during President Donald Trump's administration, publicly urged Disney to pull the late-night show from the airwaves.

Carr on Benny Johnson’s podcast said, “We can do this the easy way or the hard way. These companies can find ways to change conduct and take actions on Kimmel, or there’s going to be additional work for the FCC ahead.” 

According to Deadline, the pressure intensified when the two largest station groups, Nexstar and Sinclair, declared they would no longer air 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'. This was a significant setback that heavily influenced ABC’s decision to pull the show from its stations.



 

What did Jimmy Kimmel say after Charlie Kirk's shooting?

In the immediate aftermath of Kirk’s fatal shooting on September 10, Kimmel posted on social media, “Instead of the angry finger-pointing, can we just for one day agree that it is horrible and monstrous to shoot another human? On behalf of my family, we send love to the Kirks and to all the children, parents and innocents who fall victim to senseless gun violence.”


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel)


 

The sympathetic tone changed just after five days. 

In his September 15 monologue on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!', the show host said: “We hit some new lows over the weekend with the MAGA gang desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them and doing everything they can to score political points from it.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Priya Jain was reportedly caught off guard by the timing of Eric Dane’s death following his battle with ALS, which he publicly announced in April 2025
13 hours ago
On Instagram, Janell Shirtcliff shared candid moments of Eric Dane, including a tattoo snapshot and a cowboy hat photo beside a horse
14 hours ago
Kimberly Van Der Beek posted a throwback photo remembering Eric Dane, sending love and support to Rebecca Gayheart during this loss
14 hours ago
Willie Colon's death marks the end of a six-decade career that helped shape modern salsa music and bring Latin sounds to a global audience
18 hours ago
The GoFundMe campaign was launched by close friends of Eric Dane shortly after his death to provide a safety net for his daughters, Billie and Georgia
20 hours ago
Rebecca Gayheart shared throwback photos showing Dane with their daughters, highlighting the actor’s role as a devoted father and family man.
21 hours ago
Bill Mazeroski, the Hall of Fame second baseman spent 17 seasons with the Pirates and delivered the only Game 7 walk-off homer in Series history
1 day ago
Conon O’Brien said he had grown increasingly close to Rob and Michele Reiner over the years, often spending time with them alongside his wife
1 day ago
When asked about his regrets involving his daughters, Eric Dane referenced his marriage to Rebecca Gayheart
1 day ago
Eric Dane recalled meeting Rebecca Gayheart and telling her friend he would marry her, despite her being engaged since age 15
1 day ago