John Bolton says Donald Trump may be in ‘panic mode’ after Iran downs US jet

The former national security adviser also said that the situation is degrading the credibility of the White House.
John Bolton reacts to Iran downing US jets and suggests Donald Trump may be struggling to deal with the situation (Getty Images)
John Bolton reacts to Iran downing US jets and suggests Donald Trump may be struggling to deal with the situation (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Former national security adviser John Bolton has raised concerns about President Donald Trump’s response after Iran reportedly shot down a US military aircraft, suggesting the situation may have pushed the president into “panic mode.”

Speaking on April 4, Bolton questioned the White House’s handling of the escalating conflict.

His remarks came after a major development in the ongoing tensions, with Iran claiming it had successfully targeted American aircraft in its airspace.



Iran downs US jet as conflict escalates

The situation intensified after Iran said it had shot down an F-15E Strike Eagle over its territory, marking the first known instance of Tehran bringing down a US jet during the current conflict.

Iran later claimed that its air defenses also struck an A-10 Warthog attack plane. The pilots of both aircraft ejected safely, but the situation quickly turned urgent.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 17: Former National Security Adviser John Bolton speaks at a panel hosted by the National Council of Resistance of Iran – U.S. Representative Office (NCRI-US) at the Willard InterContinental Hotel on August 17, 2022 in Washington, DC. The NCRI-US held the panel to mark the 20th anniversary of their first press conference on the perceived threat of Iran’s nuclear weapons program. Recently the U.S. Justice Department announced charges against an Iranian operative for a plot to murder John Bolton. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Former National Security Adviser John Bolton speaks at a panel hosted by the National Council of Resistance of Iran – US Representative Office (NCRI-US) at the Willard InterContinental Hotel on August 17, 2022 in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

During the search operation, Iranian firepower also targeted a US Air Force UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter and another rescue helicopter. Both aircraft were able to escape without further damage.

The developments have added fresh pressure on the White House as the conflict enters its fifth week.

John Bolton questions Donald Trump’s response

Reacting to the developments, Bolton said the lack of an immediate on-camera response from Trump raises concerns.

Speaking during an interview, he said the situation “absolutely degrades White House credibility, and that’s a self-inflicted wound by the White House, not the Iranians.”

Bolton went further, suggesting that the president may be struggling to manage the situation.

President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters after signing an executive order in the Oval Office of the White House Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters after signing an executive order in the Oval Office of the White House Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

“No, it sounds to me like he’s probably back in a panic mode, wishing he could find a way to declare victory and get out of this war, regardless of whether or not he opens the Strait of Hormuz before he does it,” he said. “I think that’s a mistake, too.”

He also warned that if the buildup to the conflict had been unsettling for Trump, it could have wider consequences.

“If the lead-up to the conflict was upsetting him, then that is a problem for him, and therefore it’s a problem for the country,” Bolton added, noting that the situation could have been avoided.

Concerns over optics and propaganda impact

Bolton also addressed the potential fallout at the time when one of the pilots was still missing.

While he said it would not change the course of the conflict, he described the situation as a possible symbolic win for Tehran if Iran had managed to capture the crew member.

Both pilots have since been rescued by US forces following a high-risk operation.



Rather than altering military dynamics, Bolton called it a “propaganda victory for Iran” and “something that tests our resolve.”

He suggested that how the US responds in moments like this plays a key role in shaping global perception.

“And if the president or the White House are shaky because of this, then it indicates, yet again, that they had not thoroughly thought through what it meant to launch these attacks,” he added.

Donald Trump maintains confidence in military operation

Despite the developments, Trump has continued to project confidence about the ongoing military campaign.

He recently warned Iranian leaders to move toward a peace deal soon, while also indicating that further action could follow.

President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters after signing an executive order in the Oval Office of the White House Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump answers questions from reporters after signing an executive order in the Oval Office of the White House Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

The president said the US “hasn’t even started destroying what’s left in Iran,” a statement that came after a strike reportedly destroyed what he described as the “biggest bridge in Iran.”

Trump has repeatedly stressed that US actions have weakened Iran’s defenses, including its air, naval and missile capabilities.

He also said the military operation, known as “Operation Epic Fury,” is “near completion,” suggesting that the administration believes it is close to achieving its objectives.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Unlike some of Trump’s splashier renovation efforts, this one is being framed as a practical fix rather than another facelift
3 hours ago
Anthony Constantino said he hopes his pro-Trump song unites listeners worldwide, including in North and South Korea
3 hours ago
Vance’s fashion stunt came during his meeting with Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin for a St. Patrick’s Day breakfast, where Trump stopped mid-sentence to comment on his footwear for the day
4 hours ago
The display was meant as a protest against Mamdani and the growing influence of progressive politics in NYC
4 hours ago
Sgt Rick Morton said authorities see no criminal activity in the Sandy Fire as more than 500 firefighters work to contain the blaze
6 hours ago
San Diego Police Chief hailed Amin Abdullah, saying ‘it’s fair to say his actions were heroic’
6 hours ago
Neighbors of one suspect said they had known the family for nearly two decades and recalled how he often helped with groceries
6 hours ago
Trump said his officials will look ‘very strongly’ at the mosque shooting
7 hours ago
The shooting came after the mother of one of the suspects contacted the police around 9:40 am to report that her son was missing, along with multiple weapons and her vehicle
7 hours ago
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the initial “runaway juvenile” report quickly escalated into a larger threat assessment after police learned the teen had taken three weapons
8 hours ago