Karoline Leavitt mocked as she brushes off Elon Musk and Peter Navarro tariff feud as ‘boys will be boys’

Karoline Leavitt characterized Elon Musk and Peter Navarro's dispute as a difference of opinion and proof of the administration’s transparency
PUBLISHED APR 9, 2025
Karoline Leavitt dismissed a heated and increasingly personal feud between Elon Musk and Peter Navarro (Andrew Harnik,  Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Karoline Leavitt dismissed a heated and increasingly personal feud between Elon Musk and Peter Navarro (Andrew Harnik, Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The White House is brushing off a heated and increasingly personal feud between Elon Musk and Donald Trump's trade advisor, Peter Navarro.

Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt made it clear on Tuesday that the administration has no plans to cool tempers, reports Daily Beast.



 

White House brushes off verbal brawl between Elon Musk and Peter Navarro

“They are 2 individuals having different views on trade and tariffs. Boys will be boys,” Karoline Leavitt said, brushing off concerns during her daily briefing. “Everyone should be proud that we are the most transparent administration in the history.”

That comment came just hours after Musk posted a barrage of insults aimed at Navarro on X (formerly Twitter), calling him “dumber than a sack of bricks” and using a variation of an offensive slur, referring to him as “Peter Retarrdo.”



 

The billionaire also called Navarro a “moron”, continuing a back-and-forth that’s gotten increasingly personal.



 

The public beef ignited last week after Musk criticized Trump’s proposed tariffs, particularly the ones aimed at European imports. Navarro, widely seen as the architect of the aggressive trade agenda, fired back by mocking Musk’s business model and dismissing him as a “car assembler” looking to cut costs with cheap parts.



 

Musk didn’t mince words when clapping back on X, taking a shot at Navarro’s credentials. He wrote, “PhD in Econ from Harvard is a bad thing, not a good thing.”

Things had seemed to quiet down for a bit, but on Tuesday, Musk reignited the fire with a fresh round of jabs aimed squarely at Navarro. “Tesla has the most American-made cars,” Musk posted. “Navarro is dumber than a sack of bricks.”

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 11: U.S. President Donald Trump listens as White House Senior Advisor, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk (L), joined by his son X Æ A-Xii, speaks next to a Tesla Model Y on the South Lawn of the White House on March 11, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump spoke out against calls for a boycott of Elon Musk's companies and said he would purchase a Tesla vehicle in what he calls a 'show of confidence and support' for Elon Musk. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
US President Donald Trump listens as White House Senior Advisor, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk (L), joined by his son X Æ A-Xii, speaks next to a Tesla Model Y on the South Lawn of the White House on March 11, 2025 in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Despite the harsh words, Leavitt spun the situation as proof of a healthy, open administration. “I think it also speaks to the president’s willingness to hear from all sides,” she said, adding, “He has people at the highest levels of this government in this White House that have very diverse opinions on very diverse issues but the president takes all opinions in mind and he makes the best decision based on the best interests of the American public.”

Internet reacts to Karoline Leavitt's statement on Musk-Navarro feud

Karoline Leavitt, a senior adviser to Donald Trump’s campaign, stirred up controversy this week by brushing off the increasingly public spat between Elon Musk and Peter Navarro with a casual “boys will be boys.” The comment quickly ignited debate across social media.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt introduces Steve Witkoff, special envoy to the Middle East to speak to the press outside of the White House on March 06, 2025 in Washington, DC. Witkoff spoke to the press about a range of foreign policy issues including peace talks involving Ukraine and Russia and the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt introduces Steve Witkoff, special envoy to the Middle East to speak to the press outside of the White House on March 06, 2025, in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

One user wrote, “Boys will be boys. Trump has turned the world into a boy's high school locker room,” while another argued, “Calling them boys isn't a really good defense as she thinks it is.”



 



 

“Musk calls Navarro a ‘moron,’ Leavitt shrugs—‘boys will be boys.’ Too bad these boys are playing chicken with the global economy,” one user commented.



 

Others used the moment to critique Trump’s decision-making circle. “She’s right Trump does listen to everybody, but he doesn’t take the best advice. He takes the worst advice literally and uses it,” a user claimed.



 

One sharp comment aimed Leavitt directly, “Karoline Leavitt is giving blondes a really bad name. I take that personally.”



 

“We need men, not boys in the White House,” a user wrote.



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kaitlan Collins suggested the banner blurred the traditional boundary between the White House and the Justice Department
43 minutes ago
Donald Trump's announcement immediately raised questions about why the aid was being sent and whether Greenland had requested any assistance
1 hour ago
JD Vance pushed back on Democratic opposition to voter ID measures, framing the issue as one of election integrity
1 hour ago
Trump thanked Hegseth for his leadership, telling governors that he had played a key role in motivating Americans to serve in the armed forces again
2 hours ago
Speaking at the National Governors Association Dinner, Trump revisited his long-running gripe about aerosol cans and the ozone layer
2 hours ago
Adam Schiff said he would attend an alternative event outside the Capitol, breaking with his long record of attending every State of the Union address
2 hours ago
Trump revisited his 2020 election fraud claims, calling the loss of a second term 'terrible' during the governors’ dinner remarks
3 hours ago
Donald Trump said the ballroom would be funded entirely through private donations from supporters and preservation groups
3 hours ago
Vance argued voter ID protects citizens’ rights and warned ineligible voting undermines election integrity; 50+ Republican senators support the bill
3 hours ago
Trump claimed early demand for the 2026 World Cup is unprecedented, signaling strong interest ahead of the tournament hosted across North America
4 hours ago