'Make Chicago safe again': Trump to deploy hundreds of DHS officers for city raids, Internet hails move

'Make Chicago safe again': Trump to deploy hundreds of DHS officers for city raids, Internet hails move
Trump immigration sweep in Chicago set to launch with 200 Homeland Security officers (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON DC: President Donald Trump is preparing to deploy more than 200 Homeland Security officers for a large-scale immigration sweep in Chicago, the New York Times reported.

According to reports, immigration agents will also use Naval Station Great Lakes, located just outside the city, as a staging base for operations expected to begin in September.

Tom Homan says immigration raids will intensify in sanctuary cities

Trump’s Border Czar Tom Homan confirmed that the administration plans to increase operations in Chicago and other sanctuary cities.

Trump administration
Trump’s border czar Tom Homan speaks outside the White House on July 10, 2025, on border security and immigration (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

“Look at the crime rate in Chicago. Operations will ramp up across the country, you’re going to see a ramp up of operations in Chicago, absolutely, you’re going to see a ramp up of operations in New York, you’re going to see a ramp up of operations continue in LA, and Portland, Seattle,” Homan told reporters Thursday.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 06: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Apple CEO Tim Cook in the Oval Office of the White House on August 6, 2025 in Washington, DC. Apple Inc. announced a $100 billion investment in manufacturing facilities in the U.S., on top of an announcement in February committing over the next four years to a $500 billion investment in the U.S. economy and the addition of 20,000 new jobs. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks with Apple CEO Tim Cook in the Oval Office on August 6, 2025, in Washington, DC (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

“All these sanctuary cities that refuse to work with ICE, where we know public safety threats are being released every day into this country, especially those cities. We’re gonna address that,” added former ICE director Homan.

Mayor Brandon Johnson condemns federal immigration plan

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, who has been a frequent critic of the Trump administration, rejected the planned raids.

“This plan seems to be a rerun of their tactics in Los Angeles, where ICE agents were used as a pretext to justify further escalation by federal agents and National Guard troops,” Johnson said in a statement.

Brandon Johnson, the Mayor of Chicago (X/@ChicagosMayor)
Brandon Johnson, the Mayor of Chicago (X/@ChicagosMayor)

“We reject any attempts that put Chicagoans in danger as a means of furthering the president’s political ends,” Johnson added.

Trump earlier signaled that Chicago would be “next” after he sent DHS and National Guard forces into Washington, DC, to curb crime earlier this month.

“President Trump has been clear: we are going to make our streets and cities safe again. Across the country, DHS law enforcement are arresting and removing the worst of the worst including gang members, murderers, pedophiles, and rapists that have terrorized American communities,” a senior DHS official told New York Post.

Online reactions support Trump immigration crackdown

Internet reactions poured in after news of the Chicago raids emerged, with most appearing to support the crackdown.

“That’s great, but I wouldn’t announce it, I would just do it. Don’t give your enemy any time to react,” wrote one on X.

Another user said, “I think Chicago absolutely needs the guard.”



 



 

“Chicago needs this so bad! Make Chicago safe again!” wrote another.

“This is gonna get good,” another post read.

“Excellent! Make that city safe for everyone except criminals!” wrote one more user.



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

Share this article:  'Make Chicago safe again': Trump to deploy hundreds of DHS officers for city raids, Internet hails move