Mene Ukueberuwa slams Dems’ past comments on National Guard deployment

Mene Ukueberuwa criticized Democratic leaders for framing Donald Trump’s National Guard deployment as a danger to troops and public safety
Mene Ukueberuwa backed Donald Trump’s decision to deploy 500 additional National Guard members in Washington DC (Fox News/YouTube)
Mene Ukueberuwa backed Donald Trump’s decision to deploy 500 additional National Guard members in Washington DC (Fox News/YouTube)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Political commentator Mene Ukueberuwa appeared on Fox & Friends on Friday, November 28, 2025, to discuss past comments from several Democratic leaders criticizing the presence of the National Guard members in Washington, DC.

Ukueberuwa defended Donald Trump’s decision to deploy additional troops in the district, saying the move was intended to keep the public safe. According to him, Democrats had been “creating a narrative” that made the public believe National Guard members posed a threat, rather than a source of protection.

Mene Ukueberuwa reacts to claims Trump endangered National Guard members

DETROIT, MICHIGAN - OCTOBER 10: Republican presidential nominee, former U.S. President Donald Trump, speaks at the Detroit Economic Club on October 10, 2024 in Detroit, Michigan. Michigan is considered a key battleground state in the upcoming presidential election, holding 15 electoral votes. (Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)
Donald Trump spoke at the Detroit Economic Club on October 10, 2024 in Detroit Michigan as the Republican presidential nominee (Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)

During the segment, Ukueberuwa and host Carley Shimkus examined a recent piece from The Atlantic that questioned the effectiveness and safety of the deployment. Shimkus read excerpts from the report, which argued that the troops were “untrained in law enforcement” and pointed to a memo included in litigation that challenged the “high-visibility mission” in Washington. The memo suggested that the military presence could put Guard members in danger.

“There are costs of performatively deploying members of the military — one of which is the risk of endangering them,” Shimkus read.

Ukueberuwa pushed back on the premise, saying the argument did not make sense. He insisted that “every single public servant” is always a “potential target,” regardless of the moment or mission. Suggesting that Trump had put troops at risk, he said, “shifts the blame entirely from the attacker.”

“The only person who is to be blamed for that crime is the person who goes out of their way to attack them,” he said.

Members of law enforcement respond to a shooting near the White House on November 26, 2025 in Washington, DC. At least two National Guard soldiers have been shot blocks from the White House. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Members of law enforcement responded to a shooting near the White House on November 26, 2025 that left two National Guard soldiers wounded (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Shimkus then pointed to newly released statistics showing Washington's crime rate had fallen since the deployment began. Ukueberuwa agreed with the trend but noted that crime had already been declining before the additional troops arrived. He said multiple categories of crime had been moving downward due to the work of law enforcement agencies already in place.

“The presence of the National Guard is being increased by President Trump in the wake of this attack, and hopefully, we will see crime decreased further,” he said.

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - NOVEMBER 27: President Donald Trump participates in a call with U.S. service members from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida on Thanksgiving Day on November 27, 2025 in Palm Beach, Florida. (Photo by Pete Marovich/Getty Images)
Donald Trump joined a Thanksgiving Day call with US service members from Mar-a-Lago on November 27, 2025 in Palm Beach Florida (Pete Marovich/Getty Images)

Mene Ukueberuwa hopes Trump’s immigration pause remains temporary

The discussion later shifted to Trump’s announcement of a pause on immigration from “third-world countries.” Ukueberuwa called the move a “national gut reaction.”

He pointed out that the suspected shooter in the National Guard attack was an Afghan native who had previously worked with the CIA. Ukueberuwa said the real solution was stronger vetting, not broad bans, and added that ensuring individuals entering the United States were properly screened would be a more effective long-term strategy. He said he hoped the pause would remain temporary.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Anderson Cooper said balancing CNN and '60 Minutes' was difficult, with most of his weekends and vacations spent reporting stories
1 hour ago
Online debate grows as Katie Miller’s podcast draws high-profile guests and scrutiny over ties between media work and Washington power circles
1 day ago
Megyn Kelly criticized Jack Schlossberg’s campaign conduct, questioning his experience and pointing to reported internal disorder
1 day ago
Bill Maher accused Democrats of tolerating anti-Israel rhetoric to avoid upsetting younger, TikTok-influenced voters
1 day ago
Bill Maher said he does not identify as Jewish, while Megyn Kelly has defended Israel but criticized Benjamin Netanyahu’s Gaza campaign
1 day ago
HBO host slammed President Donald Trump’s China visit as heavy on spectacle but light on substance
1 day ago
Bill Maher said that Donald Trump appeared overly eager to praise Xi Jinping rather than maintain a firm negotiating stance
2 days ago
Shift in tone angers Trump supporters, with influencer questioning if China has ‘defeated’ US
2 days ago
Smith defends Davidson as one of few mainstream comics still willing to take risks
2 days ago
Letterman joined Colbert in a CBS rooftop bit that escalated into staged destruction of set pieces during the host’s final week on 'The Late Show'
3 days ago