Outrage as Donald Trump tries to shift blame to Gold Star families for Arlington cemetery controversy

Donald Trump said, 'I don’t know who did it and it could have been them, it could have been the parents, it could have been somebody else'
UPDATED AUG 31, 2024
Donald Trump posed for photograph with the family members of deceased soldier at the Arlington National Cemetry on August 26, 2024 (@GovCox/X)
Donald Trump posed for photograph with the family members of deceased soldier at the Arlington National Cemetry on August 26, 2024 (@GovCox/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: Former president Donald Trump reportedly dug himself into a deeper hole over the Arlington National Cemetery scandal, as he blamed the family members of deceased soldiers for putting out the controversial photographs on Thursday, August 29.

Trump visited the site maintained by the US Army on Monday to participate in a wreath-laying ceremony, commemorating the 13 troopers who lost their lives during the US withdrawal from Afghanistan in 2021. The deceased officials were laid to rest in Section 60, where filming and photography are restricted for visitors.

Campaign officials of the GOP nominee allegedly had a physical altercation with a cemetery staff who tried to prevent them from entering the area. Soon afterward, photographs were shared by the campaign showing Trump at the gravesite with family members of a deceased soldier, smiling and showing a thumbs-up gesture.

The photographs, as well as the actions of the Trump campaign officials, have earned widespread criticism online.



 

Donald Trump points toward Gold Star family for controversial photographs

NBC News reporter Sasha Burns questioned Trump about his recent visit to the Arlington Cemetery and using the controversial photographs for his campaign on Thursday, asking, "Should your campaign have put out those videos and photos?”

“Well, we have a lot of people, you know, we have people, TikTok people, you know, we’re leading the internet. That was the other thing. We’re so far above her (Kamala Harris) on the internet,” replied the businessman.

"But on that hallowed ground. Should that they have put out?” pressed Burns, leading Trump to double down, "I don’t know what the rules and regulations are. I don’t know who did it. And it could have been them. It could have been the parents. It could have been somebody else."

“It was your campaign’s TikTok though, that put out the video,” Burns pointed out, as Trump seemingly blamed the family who invited him for breaking the rules of the restricted area.



 

"I really don’t know anything about it. All I do is I stood there and I said, if you’d like to have a picture, we can have a picture if somebody did. If this was a set up by the people in the administration that, oh, Trump is coming to Arlington, that looks so bad for us,” expressed the former president.

Internet derides Donald Trump for his explanation

Netizens are furious with the former president for his statement and slammed him for not accepting responsibility for the scandal. The following tweets demonstrate the prevalent take.

"Unbelievable!!!! 🤔I truly hope that some MAGAs can explain to me what makes them think like: 'Yeah Trump's my guy'?" wrote a person.



 

"Of all the trolling from the Trump campaign since 2016, this has me outraged the most, only to his 'suckers and losers' comment even comes close. He’s the one of the most vile, selfish, and evil men alive in my lifetime," stated a another.



 

"Nothing is ever his fault. It's always someone screwing him over 🙄 Guy has stones the size of electrons," jibed a third.



 

"Lying POS. Everything is someone else’s fault. Weak b***h move," chided a fourth.



 

"He always blames others for his actions. He's always whining. That's not the kind of a leader America needs," echoed yet another.



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Zohran Mamdani urged New Yorkers to step in as emergency snow shovelers as the city braces for a blizzard that could dump nearly two feet of snow
4 hours ago
At the Governors Dinner, Trump playfully singled out Abbott’s pricey requests while highlighting his influence in Texas politics
4 hours ago
Kaitlan Collins suggested the banner blurred the traditional boundary between the White House and the Justice Department
5 hours ago
Donald Trump's announcement immediately raised questions about why the aid was being sent and whether Greenland had requested any assistance
6 hours ago
JD Vance pushed back on Democratic opposition to voter ID measures, framing the issue as one of election integrity
6 hours ago
Trump thanked Hegseth for his leadership, telling governors that he had played a key role in motivating Americans to serve in the armed forces again
6 hours ago
Speaking at the National Governors Association Dinner, Trump revisited his long-running gripe about aerosol cans and the ozone layer
7 hours ago
Adam Schiff said he would attend an alternative event outside the Capitol, breaking with his long record of attending every State of the Union address
7 hours ago
Trump revisited his 2020 election fraud claims, calling the loss of a second term 'terrible' during the governors’ dinner remarks
8 hours ago
Donald Trump said the ballroom would be funded entirely through private donations from supporters and preservation groups
8 hours ago