'South Park' creators mock Trump with crude portrayal after WH backlash: ‘We’re not gonna stop’
Series creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone reveal that they only planned to depict President Trump for one episode and explain why that changed. https://t.co/Qq9iYT6Cbi
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) May 22, 2026
WASHINGTON, DC: ‘South Park’ creator Trey Parker says the backlash from President Donald Trump's administration over ‘South Park’s’ graphic portrayal of Trump only pushed the show’s creators to escalate their attacks, declaring, “We’re not gonna stop.”
The feud quickly turned into a broader culture-war clash after the White House publicly blasted the long-running Comedy Central series as “desperate” and “irrelevant.” Instead of backing off, Parker said the criticism became fuel for the writers room.
Parker says backlash fueled attacks
The show’s 27th and 28th seasons featured crude depictions of Trump, including scenes portraying him with a microp**is, in bed with Satan, and having s*x with Vice President JD Vance. Episodes also mocked Cabinet figures including Kristi Noem and Pete Hegseth.
According to Parker, the writers originally did not plan to keep hammering Trump throughout the season. “We were just going to do that first show with the Trump stuff,” Parker told Warner Bros Motion Picture Group co-chair and CEO Mike De Luca, according to a source.
That changed after the administration publicly responded.
“We laid into him so hard, and the thing became: ‘Well, who’s the bully now?’” Parker said. “It became this just totally juvenile joke of like, ‘We’re not gonna stop. We’re going to do it every single week.’”
Parker added that even when people around them suggested they move on, the writers refused. “‘OK, guys, move on,’ [we’re] like, ‘Nope, we’re not moving on. We’re going to keep going, going, going,’” he said.
“That became the joke,” Parker added.
White House response escalated feud
The White House fired back sharply after the episodes aired, with spokesperson Taylor Rogers dismissing the series in a statement to the Daily Beast.
“This show hasn’t been relevant for over 20 years and is hanging on by a thread with uninspired ideas in a desperate attempt for attention,” Rogers said.
But Parker suggested the anger from Trump supporters only intensified the show’s approach.
“To me, that was the whole season, was that they kept reacting, and we were like, ‘Well, God damn it. All right, we’ll do it some more,’” he said.
The escalating public fight also echoed comments previously made by Parker’s longtime creative partner Matt Stone, who argued that Trump’s second term created a new taboo around criticizing the administration.
“Oh, that’s where the taboo is? Over there? OK, then we’re over there,” Stone told The New York Times. “Trey and I are attracted to that like flies to honey.”
The controversy appeared to translate into audience interest. The episodes drew record ratings for the long-running Comedy Central series as the Trump-focused satire dominated headlines and sparked online debate over whether the show had gone too far or simply refused to bow to political pressure.
According to a source, Season 29 will premiere September 16, with additional episodes scheduled every two weeks on September 30, October 14, October 28, November 11 and November 25.