Tom Homan orders 700 federal agents out of Minnesota in bold enforcement shift

The decision marked a shift in enforcement strategy, but 2,000 agents remained to carry out ongoing deportation operations
Border Czar Tom Homan confirmed withdrawal of 700 immigration agents from Minnesota on Wednesday, February 4 in a press brief (Getty Images)
Border Czar Tom Homan confirmed withdrawal of 700 immigration agents from Minnesota on Wednesday, February 4 in a press brief (Getty Images)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: The Trump administration will begin withdrawing hundreds of federal immigration agents from Minnesota, border enforcement czar Tom Homan said on Wednesday, February 4, signaling a possible easing of a controversial operation that has sparked nationwide protests and intense scrutiny. 

The move followed weeks of unrest after two US citizens were killed during encounters involving federal authorities in the Twin Cities.



Tom Homan says the goal 'is to achieve a complete drawdown'

Speaking at a press conference in Minneapolis, Homan said that roughly 700 agents would be removed from the state as part of an initial drawdown. He described the move as a step toward ending the large-scale federal presence.

“My goal, with the support of President Trump, is to achieve a complete drawdown and end this surge as soon as we can,” Homan said, suggesting that the timeline remained conditional.



After that partial withdrawal, around 2,000 federal agents will remain in the state, he confirmed.

He said the pullback followed what he characterized as “unprecedented cooperation” among federal, state, and local authorities, arguing that the coordination had made enforcement more efficient.

Homan added that this was achieved by limiting the need to send large numbers of officers into neighborhoods to take custody of “criminal alien targets,” freeing up resources for other priorities.



“When more officers take custody of criminal aliens directly from jails, it means fewer officers on the street conducting criminal operations,” Homan said. “That’s smart law enforcement, not less law enforcement.”

He again pushed back on suggestions that the administration was retreating in Minneapolis amid its aggressive deportation campaign.

Homan reiterated- “If you are in the country illegally, if we find you, we'll deport you.”

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 24: People pay their respects during a candlelight vigil for Alex Pretti after he was shot and killed earlier in the day on January 24, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Federal agents shot and killed Pretti amid a scuffle to arrest him. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
People pay their respects during a candlelight vigil for Alex Pretti after he was shot and killed earlier in the day on January 24, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

Homan addressed the anti-ICE protesters, saying, “What are you doing? You really think you're going to stop ICE and CBP from doing their job? It's a joke. The only people you're hurting are your own community.”

Over the past two months, more than 3,000 federal agents have been deployed to Minneapolis under what the administration calls 'Operation Metro Surge', a presence that has dwarfed local law enforcement resources.

The operation drew widespread condemnation after two US citizens, Renee Good and Alex Pretti, were killed in separate encounters involving federal authorities.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents guard outside Delaney Hall, a migrant detention facility, while anti-ICE activists demonstrate on June 12, 2025 in Newark, New Jersey. Anti-ICE protests have been spreading to cities across America since Ice deportation quotas have increased. (Photo by Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents guard outside Delaney Hall, a migrant detention facility, while anti-ICE activists demonstrate on June 12, 2025 in Newark, New Jersey (Stephanie Keith/Getty Images)

Mixed signals from the White House

The administration’s messaging has shifted repeatedly in recent weeks, creating uncertainty.

Days after Pretti’s killing, Border Patrol commander Gregory Bovino was quietly reassigned back to California.

Homan arrived in Minneapolis shortly thereafter and suggested that the situation could be stabilized, promising a reduction in force and announcing that enforcement operations would move under a single chain of command rather than overlapping authorities.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Laura Loomer also claimed Nasire Best made a TikTok post threatening violence against Donald Trump in December 2025
5 hours ago
Amin Abdullah’s sons remembered their father as a hero after he died protecting children during a mosque attack
5 hours ago
'Forever yours, forever mine,' Bettina Anderson captioned a black-and-white photo shared on Instagram Stories
6 hours ago
Karoline Leavitt praised Marco Rubio and JD Vance after the pair stepped in during her maternity leave
7 hours ago
FBI agents must qualify through local rounds before competing in Quantico, where the event will focus on fitness and team-building
7 hours ago
More than 40,000 residents were evacuated after emergency teams were unable to neutralize the chemical tank at an aerospace facility
7 hours ago
Abdul Carter mocked Jaxson Dart’s Donald Trump rally appearance, saying he thought the viral clip was created using AI
10 hours ago
Donald Trump Jr and Bettina Anderson celebrated their union alongside Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump and relatives
10 hours ago
A source said Tiger Woods believes Vanessa Trump will recover and is supporting her despite his recent DUI troubles
11 hours ago
Nasire Best allegedly violated prior stay-away orders before opening fire near the White House checkpoint
11 hours ago