Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent launches Trump Accounts website to boost children’s savings

Scott Bessent projected $600,000 growth from a $1,000 Trump Account seed, noting balances could top $1 million with $5,000 annual family contributions
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent launched the Trump Accounts website for children’s savings; the program offers $1,000 at birth and capped fees to promote long‑term investing (Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images)
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent launched the Trump Accounts website for children’s savings; the program offers $1,000 at birth and capped fees to promote long‑term investing (Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Wednesday, December 17, unveiled a new federal website for the Trump Accounts program, marking the next phase of the Trump administration’s effort to promote long-term savings and market participation for American children.

The tax-deferred investment accounts, created under President Donald Trump’s 'One Big Beautiful Bill' signed earlier this year, provide every eligible child with a one-time $1,000 government contribution at birth, with families able to add additional funds over time.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 02: U.S. Treasury Scott Bessent arrives to the U.S. Capitol on April 02, 2025 in Washington, DC. Bessent met with Senate Republicans ahead of President Trump's announcement on a new round of tariffs. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent unveiled the Trump Accounts website as part of the administration’s push to encourage long-term savings for American children (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Treasury outlines growth potential of Trump Accounts

Speaking at the Treasury Department, Bessent said the accounts are designed to demonstrate the power of compound growth over a lifetime.

He projected that a $1,000 investment made at birth could grow to more than $600,000 by retirement age if historical market growth rates continue.

NEW YORK, NY - FEBRUARY 25: Traders work through the closing minutes of trading Tuesday on the New Y
Trump Accounts are designed to be invested in broad US equity index funds to capture long-term market growth (Getty Images)

For families that contribute up to $5,000 annually, Bessent said the balance could exceed $1 million over time.

Investments will be limited to authorized vehicles such as mutual funds or exchange-traded funds that track broad US equity indexes, including the S&P 500. Financial institutions managing the accounts will be capped at charging no more than 0.1% in annual fees.

Eligibility and enrollment details

Children who are US citizens born between January 1, 2025, and December 31, 2028, are eligible to receive the $1,000 government contribution.

Parents or guardians can enroll children by making an election when filing their federal tax return using a new IRS document, Form 4547.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 15: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) building stands on April 15, 2019 in W
Parents can enroll eligible children in Trump Accounts by making an election when filing federal tax returns using a new IRS form (Getty Images)

Once the program officially launches on July 4, 2026, a participating financial institution will receive the funds and activate the account.

While no additional contributions are required, families and others may contribute up to $5,000 per year for children under 18 who have a Social Security number.

Funds generally cannot be withdrawn until the child reaches adulthood, except under limited, specified circumstances.

Ray Dalio joins 50-state philanthropic effort

Bessent also announced that billionaire hedge fund manager Ray Dalio, founder of Bridgewater Associates, has joined the administration’s new '50 State Challenge', a philanthropic initiative encouraging private donors to supplement the government seed funding.



Dalio and his wife, Barbara, said through Dalio Philanthropies that they will provide an additional $250 per child for approximately 300,000 children in Connecticut, representing a $75 million commitment.

Bessent said the contribution builds momentum for a broader nationwide effort to expand funding through partnerships with businesses and philanthropic organizations in every state.

Michael and Susan Dell donation sets early benchmark

Earlier this month, Michael and Susan Dell pledged $6.25 billion to deposit $250 into the Trump Accounts of 25 million children ages 10 and younger.

Treasury officials described the donation as the largest private commitment to US children in American history.

Michael and Susan Dell talk about upcoming investment in America's children (MichaelDell/X)
Michael and Susan Dell pledged billions earlier this month to seed Trump Accounts for millions of American children (MichaelDell/X)

Bessent said the Dell contribution helped spur additional philanthropic interest and reinforced the administration’s goal of expanding ownership and market participation across income levels.

Administration frames program as generational investment

Bessent described Trump Accounts as a long-term economic policy aimed at broadening participation in the free market system.

He said the accounts are intended to help future generations benefit from productivity gains tied to emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and automation, while encouraging families to view saving and investing as foundational financial tools.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Tiffany Trump, Michael Boulos, and Tiger Woods attended Kai Trump’s graduation ceremony to support her in Florida
18 hours ago
Trump’s post came as Rachel Campos-Duffy accompanied her husband, Sean Duffy, to cover the Rededicate 250 event
20 hours ago
A White House post is the latest example of the much-controversial pattern followed by Trump’s second-term communications team
21 hours ago
Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
22 hours ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
22 hours ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
23 hours ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
23 hours ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
1 day ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
1 day ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
1 day ago