Trump calls WHCA dinner gunman ‘full of hatred’ as White House details alleged target

Leavitt says gunman aimed to assassinate Trump and target senior administration officials
Trump calls suspect ‘sick’ and fueled by hatred after reviewing an alleged manifesto (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
Trump calls suspect ‘sick’ and fueled by hatred after reviewing an alleged manifesto (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Sunday, April 26, described the suspect in the White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting as a “sick” and “bad” person, saying the man was motivated by hatred.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said investigators believe the attack was aimed at assassinating the president and harming senior administration officials. 

The incident, which disrupted the annual dinner in Washington on Saturday night, April 25, triggered an emergency evacuation of Trump, First Lady Melania Trump and other attendees.

Trump says suspect was ‘full of hatred’ 

Speaking to Fox News, Trump said investigators recovered what he described as a manifesto from the suspect’s hotel room, though federal authorities have not publicly confirmed its contents.

 “The guy is a sick guy,” Trump said. “When you read his manifesto, he hates Christians; that’s one thing for sure. He hates Christians, a hatred.”



Trump was also asked about the suspect, identified by federal officials as 31-year-old Cole Thomas Allen of California, and did not dispute the identification during the interview.

Allen is accused of breaching security at the Washington Hilton, where the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner was underway.

(TruthSocial/@realDonaldTrump)
The suspect was identified as 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen of California, officials said (TruthSocial/@realDonaldTrump)

The president also said the suspect’s family had previously contacted law enforcement over concerns about his behavior.

“I wish they would have told us about it a little bit, but it is what it is,” Trump said.

Members of law enforcement respond during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
Members of law enforcement respond during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Authorities have said the suspect was armed with multiple weapons when he approached the event and exchanged gunfire with law enforcement before being taken into custody.

Trump also said he wants the annual WHCA dinner to be rescheduled soon despite the attack, saying the event should not be derailed by violence.

“We can’t let these criminals and these really bad people change the course of events in our country,” Trump said. “That was going to be an important event.”

Leavitt says suspect sought to assassinate Trump

Leavitt said the shooting was not a random act and described it as a direct attempt on the president’s life.

“What was supposed to be a fun night at the WHCA dinner with President Trump delivering jokes and celebrating free speech was hijacked by a depraved, crazy person who sought to assassinate the President and kill as many top Trump administration officials as possible,” Leavitt wrote on X.



Leavitt said she was backstage with Trump and the first lady when Secret Service agents moved them to safety.

She added that Trump remained composed during the evacuation. “President Trump was truly fearless, but as he said last night, this political violence needs to end,” she said. 



Trump also praised the Secret Service and other responding officers, saying their rapid intervention prevented further casualties.

“The Secret Service and all law enforcement was, I thought they were outstanding,” Trump said. “They stopped him cold.”



The president linked the incident to the ongoing Department of Homeland Security funding dispute, noting that Secret Service personnel are operating during a partial shutdown. 

“They are not being paid,” Trump said. “The Democrats are holding up their pay, and I think maybe they’ll loosen up a little bit now.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Arab leaders urged the White House to stand down its forces, signaling that active backchannel diplomatic talks were underway
1 hour ago
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth demanded voters oust the libertarian incumbent for abandoning the conservative movement during crucial Capitol votes
1 hour ago
'We can't set up a multi-million dollar ATM at Mar-a-Lago for people who've committed crimes. It just isn't the way we are', Comey said
2 hours ago
Iran reportedly submits revised 14-point peace plan to Pakistani mediators after Trump warning
3 hours ago
Pentagon defends Hegseth’s personal campaign role and denies politicizing the military
4 hours ago
Trump argues the media would depict Iran’s surrender as a setback for the United States
5 hours ago
Justice Gregory Carro ordered a sweeping suppression of digital devices, a passport, and ammo seized from Luigi Mangione during a fast-food arrest
5 hours ago
President Trump shared an AI image, imagining himself sitting at a futuristic command center overlooking Earth from space and pressing a red button
6 hours ago
The president permanently shut down his Miami legal battle, clearing the way for a taxpayer-backed payout pool targeting January 6 defendants
6 hours ago
Spencer Pratt said he won't rebuild the Pacific Palisades home he lost in last year’s wildfire if the city’s current leadership stays in power
13 hours ago