Trump says the Gaza deal ‘everybody said could never be achieved’ is now here

The deal outlines a gradual process linking Hamas' disarmament to an Israeli military withdrawal and an internationally backed security arrangement
Donald Trump announced on Thursday, July 30, that the Board of Peace has reached an agreement for the 'complete disarmament' of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza (Getty Images)
Donald Trump announced on Thursday, July 30, that the Board of Peace has reached an agreement for the 'complete disarmament' of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump announced on Thursday, July 30, that what he described as a "historic" agreement had been reached to secure the phased disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza, calling it a major step toward ending the conflict and establishing a new Palestinian administration in the territory. 

The proposal outlines a gradual process linking Hamas' disarmament to an Israeli military withdrawal and an internationally backed security arrangement. However, neither Israel nor Hamas immediately confirmed they had accepted the agreement, leaving significant questions over its implementation.

Trump says deal will phase out Hamas rule in Gaza

In a Truth Social post, Trump said the agreement had been reached through the Board of Peace and framed it as a key milestone in his broader 20-point plan for Gaza.

"Today, the Board of Peace reached a HISTORIC agreement for the COMPLETE DISARMAMENT of Hamas and all other armed groups in Gaza. This is a monumental step toward lasting PEACE and SECURITY," the president wrote.



Trump said the proposal would ultimately transfer governance of Gaza to "a new Palestinian government" working alongside the Board of Peace while ensuring "Israel will have the security it deserves, with Gaza no longer used as a base for attacks."

According to him, the agreement would be implemented in "carefully structured phases," with Israeli forces withdrawing only as disarmament milestones are completed. He added that an International Stabilization Force and a newly formed Palestinian police force would assume responsibility for security in Gaza.

DAVOS, SWITZERLAND - JANUARY 22: (L-R) Shaikh Isa bin Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Bahrain's Minister of the Prime Minister's Court, Nasser Bourita, Morocco's Foreign Minister, Javier Milei, Argentina's President, Vjosa Osmani, Kosovo's President, Nikol Pashinyan, Armenia's PM, Shehbaz Sharif, Pakistan's PM, Donald Trump, US President, Santiago Peña, Paraguay's President, Sheikh Mohammed, Qatar's PM, Ilham Aliyev, Azerbaijan's President, Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister, Rosen Zhelyazkov, Bulgaria's PM, Hakan Fidan, Turkey's Foreign Minister, Victor Orban, Hungary's PM, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, UAE's Chairman of the Executive Affairs Authority, Prabowo Subianto, Indonesia's President, Gombojavyn Zandanshatar, Mongolia's PM, and Ayman Safadi, Jordan's Deputy PM onstage as the “Board of Peace” is presented by U.S. President Donald Trump at the World Economic Forum (WEF) on January 22, 2026 in Davos, Switzerland. The US-backed “Board of Peace” is intended to administer the fragile ceasefire in the Gaza Strip after the war between Israel and Hamas. The final makeup of the board has not been confirmed. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
(L-R) Shaikh Isa bin Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Bahrain's Minister of the Prime Minister's Court, Nasser Bourita, Morocco's Foreign Minister, Javier Milei, Argentina's President, Vjosa Osmani, Kosovo's President, Nikol Pashinyan, Armenia's PM, Shehbaz Sharif, Pakistan's PM, Donald Trump, US President, Santiago Peña, Paraguay's President, Sheikh Mohammed, Qatar's PM, Ilham Aliyev, Azerbaijan's President, Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister, Rosen Zhelyazkov, Bulgaria's PM, Hakan Fidan, Turkey's Foreign Minister, Victor Orban, Hungary's PM, Khaldoon Al Mubarak, UAE's Chairman of the Executive Affairs Authority, Prabowo Subianto, Indonesia's President, Gombojavyn Zandanshatar, Mongolia's PM, and Ayman Safadi, Jordan's Deputy PM onstage as the 'Board of Peace' is presented by U.S. President Donald Trump at the World Economic Forum (WEF) on January 22, 2026, in Davos, Switzerland. The US-backed 'Board of Peace' is intended to administer the fragile ceasefire in the Gaza Strip after the war between Israel and Hamas. The final makeup of the board has not been confirmed (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Trump also thanked mediators from Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, along with members of his administration, for helping broker the agreement. "The threat that emerged from Gaza on October 7 will NOT be allowed to rebuild!" he wrote, adding that Gaza would "finally be in the hands of a new Palestinian government that serves its PEOPLE." 

He concluded his announcement by writing, “CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL ON THIS AMAZING DEVELOPMENT, THAT EVERYBODY SAID COULD NEVER BE ACHIEVED!”

Officials outline phased timeline as confirmation remains pending

The announcement comes roughly nine months after a US-brokered ceasefire agreement was reached, with negotiations having stalled over the implementation of its second phase, particularly the groups' disarmament and Gaza's post-war governance.

US and Board of Peace officials said the roadmap begins with establishing a complete monopoly over weapons in Gaza. Police firearms would be surrendered first, followed by heavy weapons, weapons depots and Hamas' tunnel network in later stages. Officials said dismantling the group's military infrastructure could take between 200 and 350 days.

U.S. President Donald Trump holds up his signature on the founding charter during a signing ceremony for the “Board of Peace” at the World Economic Forum (WEF) on January 22, 2026 in Davos, Switzerland. The US-backed “Board of Peace” is intended to administer the fragile ceasefire in the Gaza Strip after the war between Israel and Hamas. The final makeup of the board has not been confirmed. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump holds up his signature on the founding charter during a signing ceremony for the 'Board of Peace' at the World Economic Forum (WEF) on January 22, 2026, in Davos, Switzerland (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

The proposal also envisions Hamas transferring civilian and security responsibilities to a technocratic Palestinian administration supported by the Board of Peace, after which Israel would begin a phased military withdrawal once agreed security benchmarks are verified.

Officials acknowledged that Israel remains skeptical Hamas will fully surrender its weapons but stressed the framework is designed as a conditions-based agreement, with each side expected to fulfill obligations before the next phase proceeds.

RE'IM, ISRAEL - OCTOBER 07: Smoke rises over the Gaza Strip after an Israeli strike as seen from the Israeli side on October 07, 2025 in Re'im, Israel. Various commemorations are taking place around Israel to mark the second anniversary of the Hamas-led attacks in Israel and the Gaza border area on October 7, 2023. During the attacks, 251 hostages were taken and around 1,200 people were killed, making it the deadliest attack in Israel's history. In response to the attacks, Israel launched a military campaign in Gaza, which has so far killed more than 67,000 people and displaced around 90% of the enclave's population of 2.1 million. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)
Smoke rises over the Gaza Strip after an Israeli strike as seen from the Israeli side on October 7, 2025, in Re'im, Israel (Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

Earlier this month, the group announced it would dissolve its governing authority in Gaza and transfer administrative responsibilities to a United Nations-backed technical committee as part of ceasefire discussions. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'She's not the White House press secretary. She's not a household name, and I just find it to be appalling', Scott Jennings said
10 minutes ago
Asked whether the US would pressure China, Bessent said 'many conversations are best to have in private,' but called on Beijing to 'get with the program'
42 minutes ago
On Wednesday, August 19, President Donald Trump announced a ‘most crushing economic operation’ and ‘economic warfare’ against Iran
1 hour ago
President Donald Trump had warned that the US would impose major economic penalties on any country providing 'any type of lifeline' to Tehran
2 hours ago
House Democrats passed the impeachment resolution when they last held the majority, but it failed in the Senate
3 hours ago
James Braid helped pass Trump's tax-cut and immigration bill with the narrow House majority and advanced the GENIUS Act, his major crypto law
3 hours ago
In June, Chinese Foreign Minister Lin Jian said Min Zin was being held on suspicion of espionage and endangering national security
4 hours ago
In Aug, an ICE official added cases at the Iran Embassy's request, and a week later, another changed the deportation list after meeting its director
5 hours ago
A report said the planning dispute now centers on the resort's helicopter activity and its impact on the protected species
5 hours ago
Max D Lederer Jr's departure followed criticism from Pete Hegseth, who accused the newspaper of promoting 'woke distractions'
12 hours ago