Trump slams reporter as ‘third-rate’ after he questions his transparency over White House ballroom

Trump had earlier said the ballroom 'won’t interfere with the current building. It will be near it but not touching it'
Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)
Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump sharply criticized a reporter who questioned him about the openness of his White House ballroom plans, labeling the journalist “third-rate.”

During a press briefing, Reuters reporter Jeff Mason questioned Trump about the project's transparency. Trump responded sharply, holding up a couple of images and said, “Third-rate reporters didn’t see it because they didn’t look." 

“You're a third-rate reporter,” he added, insisting that he has been “more transparent than anybody else.”

DETROIT, MICHIGAN - OCTOBER 10: Republican presidential nominee, former U.S. President Donald Trump, speaks at the Detroit Economic Club on October 10, 2024 in Detroit, Michigan. Michigan is considered a key battleground state in the upcoming presidential election, holding 15 electoral votes. (Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)
Republican presidential nominee, former President Donald Trump, speaks at the Detroit Economic Club on October 10, 2024 in Detroit, Michigan. Michigan is considered a key battleground state in the upcoming presidential election, holding 15 electoral votes (Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)

Why did Donald Trump label a reporter ‘third-rate’?

The press session turned testy on Wednesday, October 22, as Trump defended his ballroom plans following a meeting with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte. The confrontation began when Reuters correspondent Mason asked how Trump would respond to claims that he had not been transparent about his plans. 

Previously, images of a backhoe breaking through the East Wing walls went viral, a building Trump had previously insisted would remain untouched during the privately funded construction.

Donald Trump snaps at reporter, calls him ‘third-rate’ during heated White House press event (@EricLDaugh/X)
Donald Trump snaps at reporter, calls him ‘third-rate’ during heated White House press event (@EricLDaugh/X)

After hearing Mason's question, Trump snapped, “I’ve shown this to everyone who would listen,” he said, holding up images of the proposed ballroom. He added, “Third-rate reporters didn’t see it because they didn’t look.”

Trump continued, defending the project, “These pictures have been in newspapers, they’ve been all over the place - and we’re very proud of it. It's gotten really great reviews. I think we've been more transparent than anybody ever been.”

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 20: The facade of the East Wing of the White House is demolished by work crews on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
The facade of the East Wing of the White House is demolished by work crews on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Trump explains why he partially demolished White House East Wing

“In order to do it properly, we had to take down the existing structure,” he said, adding that he never “thought of it as being too much.” He noted that the second story of the East Wing, previously used as an office for the first lady, was “not particularly nice.”

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 20: The facade of the East Wing of the White House is demolished by work crews on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
The facade of the East Wing of the White House is demolished by work crews on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House. (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Showing a photo of the partially demolished building, Trump said, “The way it’s shown, it looked like we were touching the White House. We don’t touch the White House.” He clarified that the new ballroom would be connected to the White House via a glass bridge.

Furthermore, Trump says his planned White House ballroom will now cost $300 million, up from $200 million.

Trump earlier emphasized respect for existing structures

On July 31, the White House unveiled plans for the new ballroom.

Speaking in support of the project, Trump said the ballroom “won’t interfere with the current building. It will be near it but not touching it. It pays total respect to the existing building, which I’m the biggest fan of. It’s my favorite place. I love it.”

At exactly 22 minutes and 37 seconds into the White House video, Trump stated that the new project. 

On October 20, demolition crews began dismantling much of the White House’s East Wing, which houses offices for first lady Melania Trump and her staff, and serves as a main entrance for visitors. It was later revealed that the entire East Wing is slated for demolition.

The next day, October 21, the National Trust for Historic Preservation voiced its "great concern."

They said the proposed ballroom could "overwhelm the White House" and "disrupt its carefully balanced classical design."

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

David Axelrod explained that Donald Trump is popular with GOP voters but lacks wider appeal, creating a dilemma for Republicans in general elections
53 minutes ago
Cynthia West shared a video congratulating Trump on a huge Kentucky victory, praising his America First agenda and calling America worth fighting for
1 hour ago
Hawaa said her father Amin Abdullah often skipped meals while guarding the mosque because he was focused on protecting children and worshippers
2 hours ago
Donike Gocaj died after falling into an uncovered Midtown Manhattan manhole near the Cartier store after exiting her Mercedes-Benz
3 hours ago
JD Vance accused Kaitlan Collins of misrepresenting both his previous comments and Donald Trump’s statement
4 hours ago
The data came from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, which gathered information from more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies
4 hours ago
Amin Abdullah, Mansour Kaziha and Nader Awad were identified as the three men killed in the attack
4 hours ago
Natalie Maines accused the Trump administration of misusing public funds amid rising gas prices, tensions with Iran, and IRS controversy
5 hours ago
Donald Trump unveiled new details about the White House ballroom, calling it a hardened structure with military-grade defenses
6 hours ago