Trump wasn't done fighting E Jean Carroll at Supreme Court, justices deliver another blow

The justices have now closed off another route in Trump’s $5 million Carroll case, while a separate $83 million appeal remains ahead
E. Jean Carroll has received more than $5.6 million after the Supreme Court declined to review the jury verdict. (Getty Images)
E. Jean Carroll has received more than $5.6 million after the Supreme Court declined to review the jury verdict. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump has suffered another setback in his long-running legal battle with writer E Jean Carroll after the Supreme Court declined to reconsider its earlier decision not to hear his challenge to a $5 million civil verdict.

The latest development follows an unusual attempt by Trump’s legal team to get the justices to revisit a decision they had already made.

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - NOVEMBER 08: Former U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the media after voti
Trump’s latest attempt to revive his challenge has failed, leaving the $5 million verdict intact. (Getty Images)

The case stems from Carroll’s lawsuit over allegations over an incident in a New York department store dressing room in the 1990s and later defamed her by publicly denying the allegations. Trump has denied wrongdoing and has said he does not know Carroll.

Trump makes rare second court bid

The Supreme Court initially declined to hear Trump’s appeal on June 29, leaving intact the jury’s $5 million award from the 2023 trial. Trump then pursued a rehearing, an unusual request asking the justices to reconsider their refusal.

WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 02: The U.S. Supreme Court is seen on September 02, 2021 in Washington, D
Trump asked the justices to reconsider their earlier refusal to hear his appeal, an unusual move for the Supreme Court. (Getty Images)

The court record shows that Trump’s petition for rehearing was not accepted for filing on July 6. His legal team had argued that another Carroll case, involving statements Trump made while president, raised overlapping questions about presidential immunity that could affect the earlier verdict.

That second case is now separately before the Supreme Court. Trump filed a new petition in July seeking review of a Second Circuit ruling involving Carroll’s $83 million defamation judgment, with the Supreme Court docket showing the petition was filed July 28 and remains pending.

$5 million verdict becomes first payment

The latest Supreme Court setback also closed the main avenue Trump had used to delay payment of the earlier judgment. A federal judge subsequently authorized the release of funds that had been held in a court-controlled account while Trump pursued his appeals.

(Stephanie Keith / Getty Images)
Carroll has received about $5.63 million from the earlier judgment, including interest, while another case remains pending. (Stephanie Keith / Getty Images)

Carroll ultimately received about $5.63 million, representing the original $5 million verdict plus interest. The payment was released in July after the Supreme Court declined to review the case.

The 2023 jury found Trump liable for defamation. The verdict did not find him liable for r**e under the legal definition at issue in the case.

Trump’s separate challenge involving the much larger $83 million defamation judgment remains unresolved. The Supreme Court docket shows that case is now moving through the normal petition process, meaning the latest development does not end his broader legal fight with Carroll.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump cited his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un for opposing the drills and said South Korea declined his request to help denuclearize Iran
21 minutes ago
Trump had previously threatened to 'blow up' Oman if it didn't 'behave', and days earlier said he could claim the Strait of Hormuz as US territory
29 minutes ago
Trump confirmed direct contact with IRGC as negotiations stall, while demanding Tehran surrender and declining to set a timeline for a deal
34 minutes ago
Donald Trump scaled back US-South Korea drills, saying he was 'not happy' with participation due to his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un
9 hours ago
Ossoff praised the USS Abraham Lincoln crew’s service, saying they endure hardship but deserve competent leaders and clarity about the purpose of war
10 hours ago
Trump made the announcement Sunday, August 16, as the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were set to begin Monday
11 hours ago
Donald Trump renewed his dispute with Jeanine Pirro after her office blamed faulty construction for damage to the newly renovated landmark
11 hours ago
Greene also accused the administration of sidelining US intelligence assessments that found Iran was not actively pursuing a nuclear weapon
13 hours ago
'The deep problem here is that this administration did not plan for this war, did not plan how to get out of this war', Ruben Gallego said
18 hours ago
Jared Kushner was joined by Nickolay Mladenov and Tony Blair, while Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya attended with Egyptian, Qatari, and Turkish officials
18 hours ago