‘Unforced error’: Retired Air Force colonel slams Trump’s South Korea military drill cuts

Donald Trump scaled back US-South Korea drills, saying he was 'not happy' with participation due to his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un
Retired Colonel Cedric Leighton called Donald Trump’s South Korea drills cut an 'unforced error' that gives North Korea an advantage (Screengrab/X/@BrianAbelTV, AP Photo)
Retired Colonel Cedric Leighton called Donald Trump’s South Korea drills cut an 'unforced error' that gives North Korea an advantage (Screengrab/X/@BrianAbelTV, AP Photo)

WASHINGTON, DC: Retired Air Force Colonel Cedric Leighton didn’t hide his frustration with President Donald Trump’s decision to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea.

He called it an “unforced error” that gives North Korea a leg up while putting America’s alliance with South Korea in jeopardy. The partnership is one of the bedrocks of US security in the Pacific.

Leighton, who spent 26 years in the Air Force before becoming CNN’s chief military analyst, weighed in after Trump ordered the reduction. The president had just told Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to scale back the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which were scheduled to begin Monday, August 17. 

Cedric Leighton warns Trump drills cut could hurt Seoul alliance

Leighton said the decision would have immediate consequences for the alliance between Washington and Seoul, which underpins American security commitments across the broader Pacific region.



“This particular situation, what you’re seeing is the North Koreans are getting an advantage, really, an unforced error on our part,” Leighton said.

“It’s going to damage the relationship we have with the South Koreans, and that’s not a good thing.”

He said the broader strategic implications extended well beyond the Korean Peninsula, warning of "some serious impacts on our relationships in the Pacific realm."

A moment earlier, Leighton said it could have “some serious impacts on our relationships in the Pacific realm,” and he criticized the president for saying earlier that the US was going to pay for the entire operation; Leighton said that was “absolutely false.”

U.S. Army's armored vehicles move during a joint river-crossing exercise between South Korea and the United States as a part of the Freedom Shield military exercise in Yeoncheon, South Korea, Saturday, March 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)
US Army's armored vehicles move during a joint river-crossing exercise between South Korea and the United States as a part of the Freedom Shield military exercise in Yeoncheon, South Korea, Saturday, March 14, 2026 (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

He continued, saying the exercises were “critical” for the joint defense of South Korea and Japan, as well as the United States.

Trump calls South Korea drills ‘hostile,’ cites Kim relationship

Donald Trump recently said he was scaling back joint US military drills with South Korea aimed at deterring North Korea, despite military officials from both countries warning that Kim Jong-un’s regime was learning new battlefield tactics from the Ukraine war.

The drills under Ulchi Freedom Shield, one of two major annual exercises held by South Korea and the US, start on Monday and run until August 27.

However, on Sunday evening, the US president said he was “not happy” with US participation “based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong-un”.



He added that they were costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a country that, as long as Donald J Trump has been president, has been unthreatening and respectful”.

The timing of the order drew backlash, as US and South Korean military officials had publicly announced last week that this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises would focus on lessons learned from North Korean troops’ growing battlefield experience in Ukraine, including new drone tactics, GPS disruption, and cyberattack scenarios.

PANMUNJOM, SOUTH KOREA - JUNE 30 (SOUTH KOREA OUT): A handout photo provided by Dong-A Ilbo of North
Donald Trump cited his 'very good relationship' with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as a key factor in the decision (Getty Images)

Pyongyang has for some time been trying to send military aid to Moscow, with more than 14,000 North Korean soldiers having fought alongside Russian troops in the Kursk region.

South Korea's Defense Ministry said Monday that the exercises would proceed as planned.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Ossoff praised the USS Abraham Lincoln crew’s service, saying they endure hardship but deserve competent leaders and clarity about the purpose of war
2 hours ago
Trump made the announcement Sunday, August 16, as the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises were set to begin Monday
2 hours ago
Donald Trump renewed his dispute with Jeanine Pirro after her office blamed faulty construction for damage to the newly renovated landmark
3 hours ago
Greene also accused the administration of sidelining US intelligence assessments that found Iran was not actively pursuing a nuclear weapon
4 hours ago
'The deep problem here is that this administration did not plan for this war, did not plan how to get out of this war', Ruben Gallego said
9 hours ago
Jared Kushner was joined by Nickolay Mladenov and Tony Blair, while Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya attended with Egyptian, Qatari, and Turkish officials
10 hours ago
Kristen Welker asked Todd Blanche if he would follow Trump if asked to cross 'an ethical or legal line', but Blanche said the president never would
10 hours ago
The attorney general addressed concerns over his transition from Trump's personal lawyer to the Justice Department
11 hours ago
James Carville said Democrats should not just celebrate reclaiming seats but pressure Republicans on popular issues and seek broader voter support
13 hours ago
Beshear says the longtime senator still has a responsibility to assure Kentuckians he can carry out his role
13 hours ago