Unpacking Trump claim 'we didn't lose one person in 18 months' in Arlington video with Gold Star families

In the video, Trump congratulated himself, stating that no US troops were killed in Afghanistan under his presidency
PUBLISHED SEP 5, 2024
Donald Trump congratulated himself in a video, stating that no US troops were killed in Afghanistan under his presidency (Getty Images)
Donald Trump congratulated himself in a video, stating that no US troops were killed in Afghanistan under his presidency (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: A fact check has debunked a key claim made in Donald Trump's now-infamous TikTok video with Gold Star families at Arlington National Cemetery. In the video, Trump congratulated himself, stating that no US troops were killed in Afghanistan under his presidency for 18 months.

“We didn’t lose one person in 18 months,” he says in a voiceover that appears to be taken from an old television appearance, per The Daily Beast. "And then they took over that disaster."



 

The actual truth behind Donald Trump's assertion

According to The Washington Post's Glenn Kessler, a fact checker who has long been a thorn in Donald Trump's side, there was indeed a year-and-a-half period in Afghanistan during which no US service members were killed. However, that time period coincided with both Trump's and Joe Biden's presidential terms.

That period covered the final 11 months of Trump's administration, including the post-election period when he spent most of his time lying about widespread voter fraud, as well as the first seven months of Biden's presidency. 

Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump arrives for a rally at Festival Park on June 18, 2024 in Racine, Wisconsin. This is Trump's third visit to Wisconsin, a key swing state in 2024. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
According to Glenn Kessler, a fact checker who has long been a thorn in Donald Trump's side, there was indeed a year-and-a-half period in Afghanistan during which no US service members were killed (Getty Images)

The Post reported that it looked into every other possible 18-month period during Trump's presidency and found none that would support Trump's assertion.

Trump did, in fact, attend the repatriation ceremony for two soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan in February 2020, which marked the start of th 18-month period with no deaths.

He saluted the coffins of posthumously promoted Army Sgts 1st Class Javier Jaguar Gutierrez and Antonio Rey Rodriguez, both from the 7th Special Forces Battalion, who were slain by an Afghan National Army soldier in an insider attack in February 2020.



 

Donald Trump has continuously claimed credit for the fatality-free period

The 77-year-old has repeatedly claimed credit for the 18-month period with no fatalities.

“We had no soldiers killed for 18 months while I was there because they knew - don’t play around with our soldiers,” Trump said in North Carolina on August 21. 

Trump had said something similar at a gathering in Pennsylvania only four days before.

“For 18 months, we didn’t have one American soldier killed in Afghanistan,” he said. “And then I left—and then I left—and there’s a bunch of incompetent people took over and it all started up again.”

Based on how blatant a lie is, Kessler assigns "Pinocchios" on his fact-checking ratings. Trump's bogus statements regarding troop deaths received a two out of a potential four Pinocchios from him.

Scrutiny over Donald Trump's visit to Arlington

After Trump was charged with politicizing a visit to Arlington Cemetery, the largest resting site for American veterans and troops killed in combat, scrutiny of his equation with the military intensified toward the end of last month.

Photos of Trump grinning and giving the thumbs up while standing with gold star families next to the graves of their departed loved ones quickly went viral, sparking criticism of the August 26 visit. Even while other people in the pictures smiled and replicated Trump's hand motion, some well-known veterans criticized Trump for his graveside manners.

ARLINGTON, VA - DECEMBER 15: U.S. President Donald Trump visits Section 60 at Arlington National Cem
Photos of Donald Trump grinning and giving the thumbs up while standing with gold star families next to the graves of their departed loved ones quickly went viral, sparking criticism of the August 26 visit (Getty Images)

Trump's headache from the encounter worsened later that evening when he shared the politicized TikTok from his visit, in which he made a subtly critical comment about the current government.

Soon Trump's visit to Arlington had descended into scandal. A story claimed that a member of Trump's entourage physically attacked a cemetery staff member for attempting to prevent a photographer from taking pictures inside Section 60 of the cemetery, a 14-acre plot used to bury US service men who died in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Trump's campaign maintains they had permission to have cameras there, despite the fact that only cemetery employees are permitted to take pictures or videos in the area.

The US Army acknowledged in a statement that a Trump staffer did push a woman who approached the group, despite the campaign's initial claims that no one in the group engaged in physical contact with the employee.

Trump's camp has retaliated by accusing Biden alone of being responsible for the deaths of thirteen US soldiers during the tumultuous 2021 withdrawal from Afghanistan. The plan to remove all American forces from Afghanistan had been arranged by Trump the year before, but the tragedy happened during Biden's first months in office.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Zohran Mamdani urged New Yorkers to step in as emergency snow shovelers as the city braces for a blizzard that could dump nearly two feet of snow
5 hours ago
At the Governors Dinner, Trump playfully singled out Abbott’s pricey requests while highlighting his influence in Texas politics
5 hours ago
Kaitlan Collins suggested the banner blurred the traditional boundary between the White House and the Justice Department
7 hours ago
Donald Trump's announcement immediately raised questions about why the aid was being sent and whether Greenland had requested any assistance
7 hours ago
JD Vance pushed back on Democratic opposition to voter ID measures, framing the issue as one of election integrity
8 hours ago
Trump thanked Hegseth for his leadership, telling governors that he had played a key role in motivating Americans to serve in the armed forces again
8 hours ago
Speaking at the National Governors Association Dinner, Trump revisited his long-running gripe about aerosol cans and the ozone layer
8 hours ago
Adam Schiff said he would attend an alternative event outside the Capitol, breaking with his long record of attending every State of the Union address
9 hours ago
Trump revisited his 2020 election fraud claims, calling the loss of a second term 'terrible' during the governors’ dinner remarks
9 hours ago
Donald Trump said the ballroom would be funded entirely through private donations from supporters and preservation groups
9 hours ago