'We are extremely upset': The Academy issues apology after security 'shoves' Teyana Taylor at Oscars

In a statement released after the incident, the Academy regretted that Teyana Taylor's Oscars experience ended on a bitter note.
The Academy issues statement about Teyana Taylor's security guard incident at the Oscars (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)
The Academy issues statement about Teyana Taylor's security guard incident at the Oscars (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Singer and actress Teyana Taylor said she was pushed by a security guard after the 98th Academy Awards ceremony, prompting the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to issue an apology.

The incident sparked criticism over how guests are treated at Hollywood's biggest night.

In a statement following the incident, the academy said they were "extremely upset" to hear about Taylor's experience and took responsibility, even though the fight involved a guard who worked for an outside contractor.

The Academy issues statement 

The incident reportedly occurred at the end of the Oscars ceremony as crowds moved through restricted backstage areas.

Shortly after, the Academy issued an apologetic statement, saying it had worked closely with Taylor for several months. The Academy also expressed regret that her experience at the ceremony ended on a negative note.



"We were extremely upset to learn about the experience endured by Teyana Taylor at the end of the Oscars ceremony last night,” the statement read.

“We have worked with Teyana over the last several months during awards season, and she has been nothing short of remarkable, supportive, kind, and all about community,” it added.

The Academy also praised Taylor for how she handled the situation.

Taylor had been a visible presence during the lead-up to the Oscars, attending multiple events and engaging with fellow artists across the industry.

Teyana Taylor arrives at the Oscars on Sunday, March 15, 2026, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)
Teyana Taylor arrives at the Oscars on Sunday, March 15, 2026, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

“Though the incident was with our outside security firm SIS, the experience of every single guest is our responsibility. We have made it clear to them that this behavior is not acceptable,” the Academy said.

“We want to thank Teyana for showing remarkable grace, and we are taking the appropriate measures to ensure this does not happen again," they added.

Teyana Taylor shoved by security

In a viral video from the Oscars, the 'One Battle After Another' star, who was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, was seen scolding a man while standing in the middle of a crowd.

“You’re a man putting your hands on a female,” she says in the video, before repeatedly telling the man that he’s “very rude.” Taylor also told someone next to her that “he literally shoved me” and “he damn near shoved” another woman.



The incident reportedly happened after ‘One Battle After Another’ won the Oscar for Best Picture and Taylor wanted to head back onstage for the group photo alongside Warner Bros. film bosses Pam Abdy and Mike DeLuca.

However, the security guard allegedly attempted to stop Taylor and a few others from going up the stairs.

TMZ spoke with Taylor later in the night, and she said, "Security was just doing a lot... There's always that one."

"I just don't tolerate disrespect... especially when it's unwarranted and it's unprovoked," she stated. 

Witnesses also said that tensions were high as attendees navigated tight corridors and security attempted to clear spaces quickly after the show concluded.

Teyana Taylor arrives at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party on Sunday, March 15, 2026, at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in Los Angeles. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)
Teyana Taylor arrives at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party on Sunday, March 15, 2026, at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in Los Angeles. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

The Academy confirmed the guard involved was part of an external security team and said it has addressed the matter directly with the firm.

RELATED TOPICS 98TH ACADEMY AWARDS

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Meghan Markle used Paula Abdul’s song ‘Forever Your Girl’ as she shared a black-and-white throwback photo from her and Prince Harry’s royal wedding
11 hours ago
Robert De Niro drew applause during a questionnaire segment on Stephen Colbert’s show with a political joke about Trump and Epstein files
12 hours ago
Colman Domingo reflects on his early 1990s coming out experience, sharing how his brother responded with unconditional support and acceptance
13 hours ago
Joy Behar said plastic surgery trends in the 1980s looked strange and scared her away from getting a facelift
13 hours ago
Khloe Kardashian shared details of an unexpected reunion with French Montana at a Los Angeles party during a rare night out with friends.
14 hours ago
Chelsea Handler said Kevin Hart deserved a more elevated roast and criticized the show’s 'gross' atmosphere
14 hours ago
Jon Favreau spoke about Tom Holland’s personality, emphasizing that despite his global fame, the actor has remained completely unchanged
14 hours ago
Pedro Almodovar called on artists to resist censorship and warned that silence signals democracy in decline
16 hours ago
Kylie Minogue said she overcame her second cancer battle and that music helped her stay strong through the difficult period
16 hours ago
A Los Angeles judge ordered Bilaal Salaam to pay Jada Pinkett Smith more than $32K in legal fees
17 hours ago