Teyana Taylor confronts Oscars security guard after backstage scuffle: 'He literally shoved me'

The incident occurred as Taylor tried to rejoin her 'One Battle After Another' cast for the Best Picture celebration photo
Teyana Taylor confronted a security guard after he allegedly shoved her backstage at the Oscars (@MattWallace888/X)
Teyana Taylor confronted a security guard after he allegedly shoved her backstage at the Oscars (@MattWallace888/X)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Things got a little messy backstage at the Oscars 2026.

Actress and singer Teyana Taylor found herself in a heated confrontation with a security guard just seconds after the ceremony wrapped, after he allegedly put his hands on her while trying to block her from returning to the stage.

According to sources who spoke with TMZ, it happened right as the Sunday night broadcast ended at the Dolby Theatre, when Taylor was attempting to head back onstage for the traditional Best Picture celebration photo with her 'One Battle After Another' castmates. 

Teyana Taylor attends the 98th Oscars at Dolby Theatre on March 15, 2026 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by John Shearer/WireImage)
Teyana Taylor attended the 98th Oscars at the Dolby Theatre on March 15, 2026, in Hollywood, California (John Shearer/WireImage)

Backstage scuffle at the Oscars involving Teyana Taylor

Sources with direct knowledge told the outlet that Taylor had been trying to return to the stage alongside Pam Abdi, the co-head of Warner Bros.

But according to those sources, a security guard attempted to stop the pair as they approached the stairs leading back to the stage.

The situation escalated rather quickly. The guard allegedly used his body to block Taylor’s path and placed his hands on her in an effort to physically hold her back and push her away from the stage so she couldn’t get past him.

A video recorded inside the theater captured the moment as Taylor confronted the guard directly. In the clip, she can be heard telling him not to put his hands on a woman and calling the move extremely rude. At one point during the exchange, Taylor is heard telling people nearby, “He literally shoved me.”



Sources told TMZ the situation grew tense as the guard continued to control access to the stage. During the confrontation, he apparently even asked Taylor to apologize.

'One battle after another' celebrates big wins at the Oscars

The incident came at the end of what had already been a big night for Taylor. The 35-year-old actress had been nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Perfidia Beverly Hills in the political thriller One Battle After Another.

The award ultimately went to Amy Madigan for her performance in the horror thriller 'Weapons.'

Still, 'One Battle After Another' had plenty to celebrate. The film (which also stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Sean Penn) entered the ceremony with an impressive 13 nominations and ultimately walked away with six Academy Awards.

Those included Best Picture, Best Director for Paul Thomas Anderson, Best Adapted Screenplay for Anderson as well, Best Supporting Actor for Penn, Best Film Editing for Andy Jurgensen, and Best Casting for Cassandra Kulukundis.

Paul Thomas Anderson, left center, Sara Murphy, right center, and the team from
Paul Thomas Anderson, Sara Murphy, and the 'One Battle After Another' team accepted Best Picture at the Oscars on March 15, 2026 (AP Photo/Chris Pizzello)

Heightened security measures at the 2026 Oscars

That said, the tense backstage moment also came during a year when security at the Oscars had been significantly increased. Authorities ramped up protections for the ceremony amid reports that Iran could be planning retaliatory strikes on California.

While officials said there was no direct intelligence indicating a specific threat, extra precautions were still put in place ahead of the ceremony at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. The Los Angeles Police Department confirmed that roughly 1,000 private security officers would be on duty during the event.



Oscars producers Katy Mullan and Raj Kapoor announced the expanded security plan earlier in the week.

“Every year we monitor what's going on in the world,” Kapoor said at a press conference, according to People. “We have the support of the FBI and the LAPD, and it's a close collaboration. This show has to run like clockwork.”

He added that safety remained a top priority for everyone attending the ceremony.

“But we want everybody that is coming to this show, that is witnessing the show, that is even a fan of the show when they're standing outside the barricades, we want everybody to feel safe and protected and welcome, so it's our job as a producing team to make sure that that translates," Kapoor said.

RELATED TOPICS 98TH ACADEMY AWARDS

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Meghan Markle used Paula Abdul’s song ‘Forever Your Girl’ as she shared a black-and-white throwback photo from her and Prince Harry’s royal wedding
12 hours ago
Robert De Niro drew applause during a questionnaire segment on Stephen Colbert’s show with a political joke about Trump and Epstein files
13 hours ago
Colman Domingo reflects on his early 1990s coming out experience, sharing how his brother responded with unconditional support and acceptance
14 hours ago
Joy Behar said plastic surgery trends in the 1980s looked strange and scared her away from getting a facelift
14 hours ago
Khloe Kardashian shared details of an unexpected reunion with French Montana at a Los Angeles party during a rare night out with friends.
15 hours ago
Chelsea Handler said Kevin Hart deserved a more elevated roast and criticized the show’s 'gross' atmosphere
15 hours ago
Jon Favreau spoke about Tom Holland’s personality, emphasizing that despite his global fame, the actor has remained completely unchanged
15 hours ago
Pedro Almodovar called on artists to resist censorship and warned that silence signals democracy in decline
16 hours ago
Kylie Minogue said she overcame her second cancer battle and that music helped her stay strong through the difficult period
17 hours ago
A Los Angeles judge ordered Bilaal Salaam to pay Jada Pinkett Smith more than $32K in legal fees
17 hours ago