White House hits back after De Niro, Springsteen take swipes at Trump on Colbert’s 'The Late Show'
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Stephen Colbert’s farewell week turned even more political on Wednesday, May 20, after Robert De Niro and Bruce Springsteen used appearances on ‘The Late Show’ to take fresh shots at President Donald Trump, prompting a fiery response from the White House the next morning.
The second-to-last episode of Colbert’s late-night show featured surprise appearances from more than a dozen celebrities, but it was De Niro and Springsteen who drew the biggest attention online after both men openly criticized Trump during the broadcast.
🇺🇸 White House claps back hard after De Niro and Bruce Springsteen torch Trump on Colbert’s near-final show.
— Mario Nawfal (@MarioNawfal) May 22, 2026
De Niro: Epstein files joke about the "two and a half million" still unreleased.
Springsteen: 'You’re the first guy in America who lost his show because we’ve got a… https://t.co/haykKpNG3O pic.twitter.com/bc9anxBxZB
Robert De Niro jokes about Epstein files during Stephen Colbert appearance
De Niro appeared on the show as part of Colbert’s long-running “Colbert Questionert” segment, where guests answer a series of humorous questions.
At one point, the Oscar-winning actor asked Colbert, “What number were you thinking of?” before delivering a jab aimed directly at Trump.
“OK. Cause I thought it would've been two million point five, or two and a half million,” De Niro joked. “That's the number of Epstein files Trump still hasn't released.”
De Niro has been one of Trump’s most vocal celebrity critics for years and has repeatedly used public appearances to attack the president.
His latest joke quickly became one of the most discussed moments from the episode.
The appearance itself was part of a larger celebrity-heavy sendoff for Colbert, with stars including Billy Crystal, Mark Hamill, Martha Stewart, Josh Brolin, Jim Gaffigan, Jeff Daniels, Tiffany Haddish, Ben Stiller, and Aubrey Plaza also joining the show.
Bruce Springsteen backs Stephen Colbert while taking a swipe at Trump
Springsteen closed the episode with his protest song ‘Streets of Minneapolis’, but before performing, he delivered a pointed message in support of Colbert.
“I am here tonight in support for Stephen because you’re the first guy in America who’s lost his show because we’ve got a president who can’t take a joke,” Springsteen told the audience.
Bruce Springsteen appeared on Stephen Colbert’s show tonight and COOKED Trump and his goons
— Harry Sisson (@harryjsisson) May 21, 2026
“I’m here in support tonight for Stephen, because you are the first guy in America who lost his show because we got a president who can't take a joke…. and because Larry and David… pic.twitter.com/WbAQ1sZfBG
The legendary singer also criticized Paramount and executives Larry and David Ellison, who some critics believe canceled Colbert’s show for political reasons rather than financial ones.
“Larry and David Ellison feel they need to kiss his a** to get what they want,” Springsteen said. “Stephen, these are small-minded people … they got no idea what the freedoms of this beautiful country are supposed to be about.”
Springsteen’s comments added another chapter to his long-running feud with Trump.
The singer has frequently criticized the president publicly, while Trump has repeatedly lashed out at him online and during campaign speeches.
Earlier this year, Trump called Springsteen “bad, and very boring,” while also claiming the singer suffered from “Trump Derangement Syndrome.”
White House blasts Stephen Colbert after celebs attack Trump
The White House wasted little time responding after clips from the episode began circulating online.
A spokesperson told Fox News Digital on Thursday, “Stephen Colbert is a pathetic trainwreck with no talent and terrible ratings, which is exactly why CBS canceled his show and is booting him off the airwaves.”
The sharp statement immediately escalated the growing political conversation surrounding Colbert’s departure and the increasingly tense relationship between Trump and celebrity critics.
Trump himself has spent years clashing with entertainers who publicly oppose him, especially figures from Hollywood and the music industry.