White House urges court to allow Trump's ballroom construction, says it will protect POTUS' family

Officials described the ballroom as a 'vital' security project, warning that halting construction could put those living and working in the WH at risk
The White House has asked a federal appeals court to allow construction of President Donald Trump’s proposed $400M ballroom to continue, arguing the project is critical for security (@WhiteHouse/X)
The White House has asked a federal appeals court to allow construction of President Donald Trump’s proposed $400M ballroom to continue, arguing the project is critical for security (@WhiteHouse/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: Requesting permission to continue the construction of White House ballroom, the administration has reached out to a federal appeals court.

The White House argued that, along with ensuring the safety of the president’s family, the ballroom will also provide protection to the country as a whole.

'Necessary for president and his family's security': WH on ballroom

In a petition filed on Thursday, April 9, with the US Circuit Court of Appeals for Washington, DC, the White House urged the court to allow the construction of President Donald Trump's $400 million ballroom to continue.

The project as a whole is "necessary to ensure the safety and security of the White House and its grounds, including the ballroom construction site, and provide for the personal safety of the President and his staff,” the petition further stated.

The White House and South Lawn are seen from the Washington Monument on June 19, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Carter/Getty Images)
The White House and South Lawn are seen from the Washington Monument on June 19, 2025 in Washington, DC (Photo by Kevin Carter/Getty Images)

The administration, in another filing, described the ballroom as “a vital project for the safety and security of the White House and the president, his family, and his staff.” It continued stating that halting the ballroom project will “Imperil the President and others who live and work in the White House."

Ballroom to modernize security?

The filing also highlighted the safety measures that have been installed or are being installed in the area where the ballroom is to be erected.

“As an example, the protective missile-resistant steel columns, beams, drone-proof roofing materials, and bullet, ballistic, and blast-proof glass are largely made, being used, and/or on their way to the project,” the filing said.

(White House.gov)
A rendering of Trump's proposed White House ballroom (White House.gov)

The filing continued, “the bomb shelters, hospital and medical area, protective partitioning, and Top Secret Military installations, structures, and equipment, are built and/or ready to be built, installed, and placed.”

The development came after the federal judge issued an order blocking the construction of the proposed ballroom and halting any further demolition of the East Wing earlier this year.

Preservation group denounces White House's security claim as overblown

The White House argued that blocking the construction over the underground work site, "would imperil the President and national security and indefinitely leave a large hole beside the Executive Residence."

The administration got a legal pushback from a preservation group, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, that sued to stop the project until it receives the mandatory Congress approval.

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 8: Construction work continues on President Trump's White House Ballroom on the site of the former East Wing of the White House, seen from the Washington Monument on March 8, 2026 in Washington, DC. The National Capital Planning Commission postponed a vote on final approval of the ballroom after receiving an overwhelming amount of negative public comments. (Photo by Aaron Schwartz/Getty Images)
Construction work continues on President Trump's White House Ballroom on the site of the former East Wing of the White House, seen from the Washington Monument on March 8, 2026 in Washington, DC (Photo by Aaron Schwartz/Getty Images)

Denouncing the White House’s argument that an open construction site poses a security threat as overblown, the preservation group argued that President Trump is still living, hosting conferences and foreign guests there. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump made it clear that he hoped to be there for the wedding ceremony and wished the couple well
14 minutes ago
'The GOP's campaign was powered by data, amplified by social media, and enabled by ardent supporters at every level', the DNC report revealed
1 hour ago
Lauren Boebert's remarks stood out as many Republicans avoided criticizing Donald Trump after others faced political backlash
1 hour ago
'She allegedly committed marriage and immigration fraud to get her brother into this country', Nancy Mace wrote about Ilhan Omar
2 hours ago
'The president promoting his $1 billion request for White House security measures won't convert voters', Karl Rove said
2 hours ago
'Hiring freezes are hollowing out research labs and forcing institutions to rescind job offers to young scientists', Tammy Baldwin said
3 hours ago
Thom Tillis said it was absurd for taxpayers to 'compensate someone who assaulted a police officer, admitted their guilt, got convicted, got pardoned'
3 hours ago
The Trump administration extended the refrigeration rule deadline, saving food distributors nearly $900 million in upgrade costs
4 hours ago
Ken Martin said withholding the report after Democrats' November wins created a bigger distraction than releasing it would have
4 hours ago
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche defended the Trump administration’s $1.776 billion fund amid questions over eligibility and payouts
12 hours ago