DNC Chair Ken Martin releases delayed 2024 election autopsy after mounting pressure
WASHINGTON, DC: DNC Chair Ken Martin on Thursday, May 21, released the Democratic Party’s long-awaited autopsy report on the 2024 election, months after facing criticism from party members and donors for delaying its publication.
The report, commissioned after Democrats’ defeat in the 2024 presidential election, had become a point of controversy within the party after Martin initially promised transparency before later deciding against releasing the findings publicly.
Ken Martin says report failed to meet standards
In a statement accompanying the release, Martin acknowledged the backlash and apologized for how the situation was handled.
“When I was elected DNC chair, I commissioned an after action review of the 2024 election that I wanted to be honest and transparent, and with actionable and specific takeaways for the future of the Democratic Party,” Martin said.
He explained that after reviewing the document late last year, he concluded it was incomplete and lacked sufficient sourcing and supporting material.
“When I received the report late last year, it wasn’t ready for primetime, not even close, and because no source material was provided, it would have meant starting over,” he said.
Martin argued that he could not endorse the report in its existing form or present it as an official Democratic National Committee document.
“I could not in good faith put the DNC’s stamp of approval on the report that was produced,” he added.
Pressure mounted from party members and donors
The issue became increasingly contentious after Martin reversed course in December and declined to release the review publicly, despite earlier commitments to do so.
According to reports, several members of the Democratic National Committee had privately expressed frustration over the lack of transparency and said they were promised at least a summary of the findings.
The pressure intensified further after former Vice President Kamala Harris reportedly told donors she supported making public an honest assessment of what went wrong during her unsuccessful 2024 presidential campaign.
Martin acknowledged that his handling of the matter ultimately created more controversy than the report itself.
“After last November’s massive Democratic wins, I didn’t want to create a distraction, but by not putting the report out, I ended up creating an even bigger distraction,” he said. “For that, I sincerely apologize.”
Release reignites debate over Democratic strategy
Martin said he decided to publish the document in full, without edits, in the interest of transparency, despite maintaining that it did not meet his expectations.
“For full transparency, I am releasing the report as we received it, in its entirety, unedited and unabridged,” he said. “It does not meet my standards, and it won’t meet your standards, but I am doing this because people need to be able to trust the Democratic Party and trust our word.”
The release is expected to renew debate inside the Democratic Party over campaign strategy, messaging and leadership decisions that contributed to the party’s loss in the 2024 election.