Aliyah Jaico: Internet mourns Houston girl who died after getting sucked into Hilton swimming pool pipe

Aliyah Jaico: Internet mourns Houston girl who died after getting sucked into Hilton swimming pool pipe
Internet mourns death of Aliyah Jaico (screenshot/ABC13)

HOUSTAN, TEXAS: Police in Houstan, Texas are investigating a case after a missing 8-year-old girl was found dead over the weekend in a pool pipe at a Houston-area hotel as per ABC News. 

The Harris County Institute of Forensic Science identified the girl as Aliyah Jaico.

According to the office, Aliyah's preliminary cause of death was "drowning and mechanical asphyxia" and her death appears to be the result of an accident.

However, investigators are awaiting official autopsy results to confirm her official cause and manner of death.

What happened to Aliyah Jaico? 

A representative for the Houston Police Department said that the girl died on Saturday, March 23 at the DoubleTree Hotel located on the northwest side of the city.

The hotel is located around 14 miles from Houston's downtown on US Highway 290. The family reported the youngster missing, and at approximately 5:45 pm on Saturday, police arrived at the scene.

According to a news release from police, homicide division detectives reported that before she died, the victim had been swimming with other family members in "a lazy river style swimming pool" at the hotel.

Later that day, about 11:30 pm, police said the girl's body was found "inside a large pipe in the pool area."

Her body was discovered, after a search team looked through security footage and saw her submerge into the water without coming to the surface.

According to the publication, the girl's body was discovered after the search team emptied the pool and inserted a camera around 20 feet into one of the pipes. According to authorities, the girl was declared dead at the site by paramedics.

Internet mourns the death of Aliyah Jaico

There were several social media users who slammed the hotel, while a few slammed the girl's parents. 

A Facebook user said, "Should have had a safety screen on it regardless. Shame on them." The next user said, "Wow I can't even imagine the hurt that is causing. Prayers to her family." 

A user said, "This kills me and terrifies me... prayers for that family." Another user said, "There was a law passed in 2008 regarding pool drain covers that applied to hotels, apartments, and community pools fo prevent this type of thing... VGB pool and spa safety act. Blaming the parents is easy, but this sounds like gross negligence on the hotel and inspectors."

The next user said, "This is so scary I didn't even know such a thing can happen!!! Poor baby may she rest in peace." 

A user said, "While I can agree that there was negligence on the part of the hotel, why was the child allowed to be without parental supervision. I do feel bad for the family's loss, but It seems that the focus is always on the 'negligent' party.…but no mention of negligence of the ultimate responsible party….." 

While a user said, "This is so sad What a horrible thing to happen My prayers for the family."

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

Share this article:  Aliyah Jaico: Internet mourns Houston girl who died after getting sucked into Hilton swimming pool pipe