‘Clown crew’: Iran speaker mocks Trump’s top officials, tells them to ‘pull rabbit out of their hat’

Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Tuesday, August 17, bashed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent . (Getty Images)
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Tuesday, August 17, bashed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent . (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: As the war between the US and Iran drags on and Trump finally confessed that there are no peace talks taking place between the two parties as a 60-day plan to achieve a permanent ceasefire ended, a Tehran official is now taking on Trump’s team.

In a social media post on Tuesday, Trump said there were “no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled” with Iran, while also saying the Strait of Hormuz was open and operating and that mines had been removed or detonated.

Iran spokesperson calls Trump team a ‘clown crew’

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Tuesday, August 17, bashed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent as being “way out of their league” in trying to bring Tehran to the table for peace negotiations.

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iranian conservative politician, former military officer, and current Speaker of the Parliament of Iran, is showing his identification to the media while arriving at the registration hall in the Iranian Interior Ministry building for registering as a presidential election candidate during the last day of candidates registration for Iran's early Presidential elections. on June 03, 2024 in Tehran, Iran. (Photo by Meghdad Madadi ATPImages/Getty Images)
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf is showing his identification to the media while arriving at the registration hall in the Iranian Interior Ministry building for registering as a presidential election candidate during the last day of candidates registration for Iran's early Presidential elections. on June 03, 2024 in Tehran, Iran. (Meghdad Madadi ATPImages/Getty Images)

“Americans think squeezing Iran harder will win concessions that were never part of the agreement,” Ghalibaf wrote in a post to the social platform X.



“Bessent and Hegseth are way out of their league. Stop waiting for the clown crew to pull a rabbit out of their hat and clean up the mess you made,” he added.

US efforts to pressure Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and return to the negotiating table have so far failed to make much progress.

Trump said Tuesday that no talks are currently underway with Iran, as the war enters its sixth month with no clear end in sight.

Hegseth, Bessent rarely talked about Iran war

Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has rarely spoken about the state of the US war against Iran publicly as of late, though on Monday he defended the Trump administration’s military actions while speaking at the Iowa State Fair.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Thursday, March 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Thursday, March 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

At an event honors military service members, veterans and their families, Hegseth relayed the long-repeated line from President Trump that the war was necessary to keep Tehran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

“There is a cost of doing very difficult things, to going out and defending your country and ensuring radical Islamist crazies don’t get a nuclear weapon,” Hegseth said. “I’m not willing to look my kids in the eye and say, ‘We had a chance to do something about it, but we didn’t.”

Bessent, meanwhile, last week hinted the US would apply sanctions on Iran that have “never been seen.”



President Donald Trump on Tuesday, August 17, shared an image on Truth Social, portraying the Strait of Hormuz as US territory.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
1 hour ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
2 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
2 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
3 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
3 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
4 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
5 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
7 hours ago
'The BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability,' a spokesman for Trump's legal team said
15 hours ago
DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin said Carlos Felipe Jaramillo-Grajales’ fraud highlights the need to protect election integrity and national security
16 hours ago