Detained Arizona man speaks out after questioning in Nancy Guthrie case: 'I'm innocent'

Carlos Palazuelos, 36, said that deputies held him for hours before clearing him of involvement in Nancy Guthrie's disappearance
A Tucson-area delivery driver detained in connection with the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie was released after several hours, said authorities, who found 'insufficient evidence' to hold him (Getty Images, @FBIDirectorKash/X)
A Tucson-area delivery driver detained in connection with the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie was released after several hours, said authorities, who found 'insufficient evidence' to hold him (Getty Images, @FBIDirectorKash/X)


TUCSON, ARIZONA: An Arizona man detained in connection with the disappearance of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie spoke publicly after being released from custody, maintaining that he had no involvement in the case.

The man, who identified himself as Carlos Palazuelos, 36, was stopped south of Tucson on Tuesday, February 10, in the afternoon and held for several hours before being told he was free to go. 

Authorities had confirmed earlier that a person of interest was detained during a traffic stop as part of the ongoing investigation. The detention followed the release of new surveillance images connected to the case.

Detention and release after hours of questioning

Carlos said that he was held by Pima County Sheriff’s deputies from approximately 4 pm until shortly after midnight.

Speaking to ABC15 following his release, he said he was confused about why he was being detained and that he was not initially informed of the reason. 

“They didn’t even tell me what’s going on until the detectives got here … They told me I was being detained for kidnapping, and I asked them, ‘Kidnapping of who?’” Carlos said.

The picture showed Nancy Guthrie, Savannah Guthrie, and Annie Guthrie smiling for the camera (@savannahguthrie/Instagram)
The picture showed Nancy Guthrie, Savannah Guthrie, and Annie Guthrie smiling for the camera (@savannahguthrie/Instagram)

When told it was in connection with Nancy Guthrie, he responded, “Yeah, that’s her. And I told him, I work in Tucson for GLS. I might have delivered a package to your house, but I never kidnapped anybody. They held me from like 4 pm (local time) to right now.”

Authorities had indicated that a search was being prepared at a location connected to him, which Carlos later identified as his in-laws’ home.

He said investigators ultimately cited limited evidence in their decision to release him.

“Like, they didn’t have, no, it was insufficient evidence. Like, they only had a phone on me. That’s all they had,” he said.



Carlos added that while Pima County deputies told him they were no longer investigating him, other agencies could still seek to speak with him.

“That I’m free to go,” he said. “Yeah. And Pima County, they already cleared me, but the FBI, they might not or something like that.”

He repeatedly denied involvement, stating, “I’m innocent. I’ll let you know that. I didn’t do anything.”



Carlos said that he believed he may have been questioned because a relative told authorities that his eyes resembled those of the masked suspect seen in surveillance footage.

“Until right now, all I know is that they showed my in-law a picture of somebody wearing a mask, or something, and they supposedly looked like my eyes,” he said.

Surveillance images and ongoing investigation

Authorities also released new photos and video footage showing a masked and armed individual outside Nancy Guthrie’s Tucson home.

(@savannahguthrie/Facebook)
Nancy Guthrie with her daughter, Savannah Guthrie (@savannahguthrie/Facebook)

The still images and two video clips showed a person wearing a ski mask, gloves, a zipped jacket, and a backpack standing near the front door of the residence.

FBI Director Kash Patel shared several of the images on social media, marking what officials described as a significant development in the investigation. 



Carlos said that he had not followed news coverage of the disappearance and said he was unaware of Nancy Guthrie or her daughter prior to his detention.

“I didn’t do anything. … I’m innocent,” he said, adding that he was “shocked” by the experience.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kai Trump described the extra time they spent together during the summer as a 'blessing in disguise'
6 hours ago
Natalie Harp’s brother said her loyalty to Donald Trump reflects their mother’s worldview, which she recognized in Trump’s 'America First' agenda
7 hours ago
JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
11 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
13 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
18 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
19 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
20 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
22 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
23 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
1 day ago