'You have to do better': Donald Trump jibes at RFK Jr for not meeting June 27 CNN debate criteria

Robert F Kennedy Jr previously attacked Donald Trump and Joe Biden for having 'cowardly' conspired with CNN to keep him away from the debate stage
Donald Trump said Robert F Kennedy Jr has 'got some very liberal, radical left ideas,' which would be a problem (Getty Images)
Donald Trump said Robert F Kennedy Jr has 'got some very liberal, radical left ideas,' which would be a problem (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Former President Donald Trump has released a new video poking fun at the independent candidate Robert F Kennedy Jr for falling short to meet the prerequisites to participate in the upcoming first presidential debate. 

The short clip recorded on the business mogul's private jet addressed the scuttlebutts that the environmental lawyer and activist didn't get enough acknowledgment in national polls or on state ballots to be considered for the highly-anticipated CNN debate, scheduled on June 27.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 12: U.S. President Donald Trump exits the White House to walk toward Marine
Donald Trump addressed the rumors that Robert F Kennedy Jr didn't get enough acknowledgment in national polls or on state ballots (Getty Images)

Donald Trump mocks Robert F Kennedy Jr, says 'he's not coming close'

"I know RFK Jr. wants to try to get onto the stage on Thursday, and I'd love to have him frankly, because I don't think he's much of a debater, and he's got some very liberal, radical left ideas," Trump said in the video, according to Fox News. "But you have to get certain numbers, that was the criteria, and he's way below those numbers. He's not coming close."



 

"So I hope to see him up there someday, but it looks to me like he's not going to qualify on many fronts," Trump continued. "They say he hurts Biden more than he hurts me, and I don't know if that's true or not. They say he hurts Biden because he's a serious left person. If he is, that's good — I don't really care."

The criteria required to be eligible for the CNN debate

At least 15% of voters must support each candidate in four different national polls for them to be eligible for the CNN-hosted debate.

Additionally, there must be enough candidates running in enough states to allow for the possibility of earning the 270 electoral college votes required to win the election.

Robert F Kennedy Jr was the highest-performing independent candidate despite falling short

Kennedy Jr, the top-performing 2024 contender, who is not affiliated with either the Democratic or Republican parties, did not fulfill the requirements by the deadline on Thursday morning, June 20. A CNN spokesperson confirmed the outlet that the independent candidate did not qualify.

AUSTIN, TEXAS - MAY 13: Independent Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. speaks to attendees during a campaign rally at Brazos Hall on May 13, 2024 in Austin, Texas. Kennedy and his running mate Nicole Shanahan, a Silicon Valley millionaire, rallied with supporters as they continue campaigning across the country for presidency ahead of the November 5, 2024 general election. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
Robert F Kennedy Jr, the top-performing 2024 contender who is not affiliated with either the Democratic or Republican parties, did not fulfill the requirements by the deadline on Thursday, June 20, morning (Getty Images)

"You have to do better than six or seven points. Maybe someday he'll be there, but I doubt it," Trump concluded in his Thursday video.

The independent candidate was only able to generate the required 15% of the vote in three different national polls, per a CNN news release.

Moreover, according to the network, Kennedy Jr did not receive enough qualifying votes from states to reach the 270 electoral college votes needed to win.

Robert F Kennedy Jr's statement after failing to meet the CNN debate prerequisites

"Presidents Biden and Trump do not want me on the debate stage and CNN illegally agreed to their demand," Kennedy Jr said in his statement on Thursday, June 20. "My exclusion by Presidents Biden and Trump from the debate is undemocratic, un-American, and cowardly."

Pictured (L-R): Joe Biden, Donald Trump (Getty Images)
'Presidents Biden and Trump do not want me on the debate stage and CNN illegally agreed to their demand,' Robert F Kennedy Jr said in his statement (Getty Images)

"Americans want an independent leader who will break apart the two-party duopoly," he added. "They want a President who will heal the divide, restore the middle class, unwind the war machine, and end the chronic disease epidemic."

Internet says Robert F Kennedy Jr is 'completely irrelevant'

Netizens gave mixed responses after Trump took a shot at the 70-year-old candidate for not qualifying in the upcoming debate.

One user opined, "RFK Jr is completely irrelevant. He should just suspend his campaign and support Trump."

Another asked, "Oh damn, think Trump considers him to be a contender?"

"Yeah, because nothing screams 'presidential' like trash-talking a guy who's actually done some good in the world. Meanwhile, Trump's still trying to make up for his lack of substance with more empty boasts," stated one user.



 



 



 

"Focus on the main thing - reenergizing America by making it great again!" advised a user.

Another voiced support for Kennedy Jr, "It is crucial to follow RFK Jr.s offerings and potentially sell out this election as well."

"Oh, neither side likes him? That's who I'll vote for then!" commented one.



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Arab leaders urged the White House to stand down its forces, signaling that active backchannel diplomatic talks were underway
7 hours ago
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth demanded voters oust the libertarian incumbent for abandoning the conservative movement during crucial Capitol votes
7 hours ago
'We can't set up a multi-million dollar ATM at Mar-a-Lago for people who've committed crimes. It just isn't the way we are', Comey said
8 hours ago
Iran reportedly submits revised 14-point peace plan to Pakistani mediators after Trump warning
9 hours ago
Pentagon defends Hegseth’s personal campaign role and denies politicizing the military
10 hours ago
Trump argues the media would depict Iran’s surrender as a setback for the United States
11 hours ago
Justice Gregory Carro ordered a sweeping suppression of digital devices, a passport, and ammo seized from Luigi Mangione during a fast-food arrest
11 hours ago
President Trump shared an AI image, imagining himself sitting at a futuristic command center overlooking Earth from space and pressing a red button
11 hours ago
The president permanently shut down his Miami legal battle, clearing the way for a taxpayer-backed payout pool targeting January 6 defendants
12 hours ago
Spencer Pratt said he won't rebuild the Pacific Palisades home he lost in last year’s wildfire if the city’s current leadership stays in power
18 hours ago