DOJ flags security gaps at Brown University after deadly campus shooting

Todd Blanche noted poor safeguards at the university and urged stronger monitoring, while praising federal, state, and local teams for swift action
DOJ’s Todd Blanche highlighted security lapses and stressed that agencies would need to reassess campus safety after the tragedy (Mark Peterson - Pool/Getty Images)
DOJ’s Todd Blanche highlighted security lapses and stressed that agencies would need to reassess campus safety after the tragedy (Mark Peterson - Pool/Getty Images)


NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: The Department of Justice’s Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche joined the discussion about the recent shooting at Brown University on Friday, December 19. 

While speaking to Lawrence Jones on 'Fox and Friends', Blanche addressed the lack of surveillance cameras on campus, which prolonged the five-day-long manhunt for the shooter that concluded on Thursday. 

Blanche said that the Department of Justice was “concerned” about the security failures and that it was something that everyone should be focused on. 

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 13: Attorney Todd Blanche sits in court during the trial of former President Donald Trump for allegedly covering up hush money payments at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 13, 2024 in New York City. Former U.S. President Donald Trump faces 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the first of his criminal cases to go to trial. (Photo by Sarah Yenesel-Pool/Getty Images)
Todd Blanche sits in court during the trial of Donald Trump for allegedly covering up hush money payments at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 13, 2024, in New York City (Sarah Yenesel-Pool/Getty Images)

Todd Blanche says focus will shift toward investigating motive

When Lawrence Jones asked Todd Blanche about Claudio Neves Valente’s motive to kill two and wound 11 Brown University shooters, the deputy attorney general said that the DOJ didn’t know.

He added that everyone would be focused on the possible motive in the coming days. Blanche also shed light on the combined efforts that went into the investigation as he praised several different sectors for coming together.

He stated that the federal agencies, the state law enforcement and the Department of Justice had been “completely focused” on finding the shooter, and since Valente was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the focus would begin to change. 

Brown University student Jaden Anselmo sends a text message to his mother as live shooting unfolded on campus. Two confirmed dead, eight injured, and the suspect is still at large (@Rep. Nancy Mace/X)
Brown University student Jaden Anselmo sent a text message to his mother as a live shooting unfolded on campus. Two confirmed dead, eight injured, and the suspect is still at large (@Rep Nancy Mace/X)

He said that the main focus would be to understand what happened, but wanted to echo Pam Bondi’s statements. 

“While completely tragic, our hearts go out to the victims and their families, this was an all-out effort,” he added. 

Homeless man credited for breaking the case wide open 

‘Fox News’ reported that the authorities were crediting a homeless man named John for providing them with the lead that led them to Valente.

John, a former Brown University student, grew suspicious of Valente when the two locked eyes in the bathroom of the engineering and physics building.



John followed the gunman out of the building, and after following him, asked him why he was circling the block.

Valente questioned John and accused him of harassing him. After the exchange, John shared his suspicion on Reddit, and also called the helpline three days after the post was made to bring it to the authorities’ attention.

John’s Reddit post, made under the username of lamin_kaare, stated that the police needed to look into a “grey Nissan with Florida” plates.

The post also said that it was parked in front of the “little shack” behind the Rhode Island Historical Society. John described his interaction with Valente online and said that he approached the car after he saw Valente use his fob to unlock it and lock it again. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

A White House post is the latest example of the much-controversial pattern followed by Trump’s second-term communications team
58 minutes ago
Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
1 hour ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
2 hours ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
2 hours ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
2 hours ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
13 hours ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
19 hours ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
19 hours ago
Rick Harrison praised Donald Trump’s 'No Tax on Tips' policy, saying it has been a major help for Las Vegas service workers
22 hours ago
'We must help liberate the Iranian people, and we can do it. We can do it without our troops on the ground. Without a forever war,' Mark Levin said
22 hours ago