DOJ subpoenas Tim Walz, Jacob Frey and other Minnesota officials amid immigration probe

Subpoenas were also issued to Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, St Paul Mayor Kaohly Her’s office and two counties
The Justice Department has subpoenaed Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and other  leaders as the federal probe expands into alleged obstruction of Trump-era immigration enforcement (Getty Images)
The Justice Department has subpoenaed Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and other leaders as the federal probe expands into alleged obstruction of Trump-era immigration enforcement (Getty Images)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: The US Department of Justice has issued subpoenas to Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and several other state and local officials as part of a federal investigation into potential obstruction of immigration enforcement, according to a document reviewed by NBC News and a person familiar with the investigation.

The subpoenas were also sent to Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, the office of St Paul Mayor Kaohly Her and two counties, according to the document and the person familiar with the probe.

Subpoenas seek records tied to immigration enforcement policies

The subpoenas, served earlier this week, seek documents and communications related to how Minnesota officials responded to and publicly criticized a major federal immigration operation conducted in the state under the Trump administration.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey speaks at an Election Night party on November 4, 2025 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Frey, the incumbent, seeks reelection to his third term while opposed by three other Democrats. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey speaks at an Election Night party in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Frey, the incumbent, seeks reelection to his third term while opposed by three other Democrats (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

Frey's subpoena requires him to appear in the US District Court in Minneapolis on Feb 3.

The mayor accused the federal government of weaponizing its power to intimidate local leaders.

In a statement to NBC News, Frey said, "When the federal government weaponizes its power to try to intimidate local leaders for doing their jobs, every American should be concerned.”

“We shouldn’t have to live in a country where people fear that federal law enforcement will be used to play politics or crack down on local voices they disagree with," Frey added.



"In Minneapolis, we won’t be afraid. We know the difference between right and wrong, and, as Mayor, I’ll continue doing the job I was elected to do: keeping our community safe and standing up for our values," the Democratic mayor added.

Minnesota leaders and ICE clash

Minnesota officials have strongly criticized the federal action, calling it politically motivated and an attempt to intimidate state and local leaders who opposed the Trump administration’s immigration policies.



Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said the subpoena was "for records and documents, not for me personally."

"Everything about this is highly irregular, especially the fact that this comes shortly after my office sued the Trump Administration to challenge their illegal actions within Minnesota," the state attorney general said.

"I will not be intimidated, and I will not stop working to protect Minnesotans from Trump’s campaign of retaliation and revenge," he continued.

On the other hand, US Border Patrol Commander Gregory Bovino appeared with ICE leader Marcos Charles in a news briefing criticizing Minnesota leaders and defending the work of immigration officers.



"They're everyday people doing a very hard job, trying to enforce the immigration laws in an environment where local and state politicians have been spreading rhetoric that dehumanizes these officers and agents," Charles said.

Protesters in Minnesota have been protesting and lashing out against Immigration and Customs Enforcement after one of its agents shot and killed 37-year-old Renee Nicole Good earlier this month.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
2 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
5 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
10 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
10 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
12 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
13 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
15 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
15 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
22 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
22 hours ago